Running 2 deeps

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Drew
Spammer?: No

Running 2 deeps

Post by Drew »

What are people's experiences with this. I've never done it or been on a boat that did it. What weight leads do you use on the tip and inside? Can you run the tip without running the inside or do you need to stack the inside deep to get to the outside one?
fveureka
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Running 2 deeps

Post by fveureka »

I did experiment with running 2 deeps, however I have Canadian bow poles and ran 50s forward and a 40s on the tip and then tried 35s. Anyway I did not get a tangle, but felt both lines ran to close trolling slow for dogs turning, fear took over and then ran floats on the tips.
jgallagher33

Post by jgallagher33 »

We run 60's on the inside and 50's on the tip. We use shorter leaders on the inside and usually only run a couple flashers per line. On the tips another flasher or two will help pull the line back. We also would use homemade planer boards. hook the planer on the wire at your desired depth and 4 or 6 fathom up add your stop. Planers will pull the line back and allow retrieval and set of gear without tangling inside deep. Have had good luck running tips this way.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to pick up some lighter leads and do some experimenting this year. I have shears that snap on above the lead that I think would prevent the lines from tangling when turning, but I have a hard time imagining being able to run the tip behind the inside and not tangling.
JKD

Post by JKD »

Drew - I haven't tried it with the current boat, but on my last boat [with really long poles ] I got away with running two heavies (both 60s) by having an extra-long tagline on the tip and slightly shorter leaders on the inside heavy. If I remember correctly I had about 2 fathoms extra added-on to the normal length of the tip's tagline. When letting the tip line out, I would let it down until the tagline began to get tight and would wait just enough to allow the wire to pull back like normal - then I would shoot it out quickly until it's weight was fully taken-up by the tagline. When trolling in a strong cross-current, I would pull and stack the inside heavy and then pull the tip. I hated doing it that way and having gear stacked that could be fishing so I avoided cross-currents whenever possible.

I used two heavies while coho fishing because they didn't seem to mind all the gear jammed closer together, but for Kings I kept the 60 on the tip and used floatbags to spread the lines out.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Based on my muddled description of my staby set up I am reluctant to mention my years of inside deep fishing and set ups. I will say I fished inside deeps for about 10 years, fished float bags for about 15 years, and then my son built me bow poles. Unlike most guys who either fished bow poles or float bags I started mixing the combos right away. Now I often run bow poles and float bags. Except last summer we seldom used float bags. If you can afford them I highly recommend bow poles.