Just another curious newbie

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
ironpaso
Spammer?: No

Just another curious newbie

Post by ironpaso »

So, My question is just a general, can a guy still make some money fishing? I am leaning towards a smaller boat with a smallish diesel, maybe a 3-71
or 4-71 jimmy or something similar to keep the fuel costs down. My wife may have a new job in the future along the West coast, Oregon\Washington\Alaska and I have been trying to get out of welding for years. I am not expecting to find boat loads of money, but is there enough to make it worth doing. I have seen many boats for sale, so I am wondering is it because of old timers retiring or low prices\fish stocks. Any insights you guys can share would be greatly appreciated. Harry
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Just another curious newbie

Post by carojae »

Hi Harry,
You absolutely can make money. With trolling, you have a 3-4 month window to do it in - but winters suck.
Good boat, good equipment, good attitude and sticking to it and adding a little bit of luck will usually result in good production $$$.
Retiring fisherman happens every year but with last years record fishing year, which usually translates to low prices the next and less fish (the norm), is one reason you might see a increase in fisherman giving it up.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Harry,
You can make money trolling, but it is a tough way to go if you are entering it to make money. There is a tremendous learning curve, you are on a small boat off the coast for weeks at a time, and you are fixing something every day. I advise people, including my own sons, that the only reason to go trolling is because you want it so much that you can't be satisfied doing anything else. I could not have been a troller for the last 40 years without my wife working at a good job with a great retirement and health program.
Don't listen to carojea, he is such a highliner that he can't imagine how tough it is for us lowliners.
On the other hand, if you have a gift for it, which a few do, then it can be a highly satisfying business producing high quality salmon from the pristine waters of SE Alaska.
ironpaso
Spammer?: No

Post by ironpaso »

Thank you for your input, I have spent 30 years welding and want to find something that I can enjoy doing, and be satisfied with at the end of the day. I have seen a variety of engine sizes. Do you guys have any thoughts on engine sizes. What I have been seeing is only modest increases in speed for larger engines, and alot more fuel consumption with the typical displacement hull.