Mono Line

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Big Chinook
Spammer?: No

Mono Line

Post by Big Chinook »

Getting ready to purchase a few spools of fishing line to flasher and then to hoochie, etc. Was thinking of just running straight 100# for everything. Lines I'm looking at are the yama, Jinkai, Maxima or P-Line XXStrong. Going to be using some sleeves and tying knots to hoochies. Would really appreciate some input from you pros that have been trolling for a while.
Also purchasing a bunch of hooks and looking at the mustad hooks the 95170 or 95160 or 9510XXXSS. Thinking of running 7/0 for hoochies and 6/0 for spoons and plugs. Can't use trebles here in Oregon. Please give me your thoughts and ideas on what you would run.
Thank You much Big Chinook
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Mono Line

Post by Salty »

I have used Yozur-hybrid for years. Can't get it anymore so I switched to izor line. Before switching to Yozuri I used maxima ultra green and chameleon for years. I have not used Jinkai or Yama for many years because they aren't tough enough for the abuse I put my leaders through.

I used the "Barker" hook, 95165 for hootchies and on some spoons for many years but it has been discontinued. The new # 6 9510XXXSS seems to be a great hook for small spoons and hootchies.

Talk to old timers about the correct hook for particular spoons. It makes a huge difference in my experience.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

Salty,

Do you use aluminum crimps with the Izor line?

Would J sized sleeves work on the 80lb test?

Do you use the Izor XXX series leader?

Thanks.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Crawfish,
Seems like every companies sleeves are a little different. I get my sleeves from North Pacific in Steveston. They are called Fisherman mini-lock. I use size M for my 80 lb. test. Yes, new generation xxx super co-polymer. Made in Taiwan.

Good luck.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

Salty,

Thanks!
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

Does it matter what color on the XXX Izor Line?
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

There's a lot opinions on which line, color, or strength. Truth is, all 3 of those can change pretty regular based on conditions. Whatever you do, shop around. I've been getting line from Ebay for cheaper than anywhere else. Good to support the local stores, for lures and things, but hooks and line I use a lot of.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Joeman,
I like smoke.