Stacking up the crab pots..

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
aluet daze
Spammer?: No

Stacking up the crab pots..

Post by aluet daze »

Hello all, after enjoying your forum for several months i thought i would join up and try to make a contact/ friend or two. Like several other wanting to jump on a troller and motor out into the S.E archipelago i too am considering the journey. I have spent close to twenty years in the Alaska fisheries, mostly crabbing out of Dutch and Sand Point. Spent the last 5 years running, renovating land plants in Bristol Bay and Adak. Kinda like working for my self. Was gun-ho to buy a bay permit and begin battle. But.. After much debate and research i believe a S.E troll or dungie permit is best suited for my self. Would sure like your gentlemen's opinion. First off it seems the Troll fishery would be one of the more laxed to get into. Or am i way off? Also i have considered buying a vessel and diving in but know crewing up first would be smarter. Also would be very interested if any one out there is considering retiring or upgrading vessel in next season or two and would like to have a buyer already to roll. Any insight or thoughts would be great. FAIR WINDS AND FOLLOWING SEAS
kjwelder
Spammer?: No

Re: Stacking up the crab pots..

Post by kjwelder »

Welcome, one can never have too many friends on the water!
You should definitely give trolling a try. In my experience it is one of the most diverse fisheries with lots of opportunity. It can be as relaxing or as stressful as you make it. There is lots of ocean for trollers to literally tack into the sunset. Especially when compared to Bristol bay line battles. One of the hardest parts of trolling is deciding when to fish because it is open about 52 weeks per year. I've had season that have been seven months long. I've also had seasons that have been 7 weeks. It just depends on Yuri our program and whatever else you have in you life.