Brass or hand marked

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Brass or hand marked

Post by joeman79 »

Getting ready to buy some new wire and wonder if hand marked is worth the difference in price from brass marked?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Brass or hand marked

Post by Salty »

I use brass marked now.
kjwelder

Post by kjwelder »

I persuaded Salty to try the machine marked brass beaded wire. I was tired of the hand marked wire breaking at the mark where they open the wire.
I cant remember the brand on the machine marked wire, but make sure the marks are a circle that gets crimped on 4 sides. This type of wire has worked for me for the past 5 seasons. The marks dont slip very often. Ive saved lots of money and can afford to replace the wire more often because it is less expensive. Plus the wire is better because the machine marks dont compromise the integrity of the wire.
fveureka
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by fveureka »

The machine marked 2 fathom scandia wire seems to come in and go out smoother than hand marked. I have not used hand marked in years.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

Is Scandia wire crimped on four sides?
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

Another question since we are on the subject of wire: Any powertrollers use 1/16 wire, or is 5/64 needed for the heavier weights?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Lots of guys use 1/16. It has less drag and piles up slower on the drum. I don't use it anymore because of the abuse I put my wires through and the problem with a small kink in 1/16 caused me to lose some lines.
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

I also find the 5/64 stands up better to my clumsy ways. presently I have thick stuff on my heavies and 1/16 on my floats
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

Brass mark isn't fool proof either. Trouble with it is you find out 4 or five wires have broke all at once usually at the most inopportune time. Then you are in deep dodo.
I'm going to try pacific net and twines in-house wire. supposedly it is marked with a better quality stainless hand marks. You can't have different grade metals mixed on one line and expect good things.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

I have heard that what we call "hand marked" (because it originally was) is now done by a machine. And there is potential for the needle that separates the strands to allow for the wire to be poked in at each mark location to nick or break a wire or two on the way in. I have not seen evidence of this, but mention it to see if anyone else has. Maybe depends on the manufacturer, or a one-time flaw that was corrected.

I have been using "hand marked", but am considering trying brass again. My Canadian snaps, if they get slightly distorted, get jammed on the hand marks sometimes. The larger diameter brass marks should cure that problem.