Canadian Boats?

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
cletelord

Canadian Boats?

Post by cletelord »

Hi
I found this site on Seattle CL.I don't commercial fish but try to get out 3-5 days a week here in puget sound.My question is about Canadian boats.All the old salt's(ex tug/commercial/etc)say that a canadian boat can never fish legally in the states due to the "Jones Act". Does anybody know anything about that?
also..My fishing partner hand trolls out of Sitka and is looking for a power troll permit and a possible sale of his hand troll.
Fish On
Clete
Jon
Spammer?: No

Re: Canadian Boats?

Post by Jon »

Clete,

Canadian built boats can fish in the US if they are under 5 net tons. There's a process called 'admeasure' which determines the net tonnage. Apparently there are people who are certified to perform the procedure and can basically shoehorn larger boats under the 5 net ton rule (Jones act). I'll be undergoing this process on a 38ft. boat from Canada in a couple weeks. Checkout this topic: Admeasurement & Documenting Canadian boats for US fisheries.

I've moved your original post here, and created a new post for you in the for/sale wanted area for the permits.

Welcome to the forum!
-Jon
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

Paying for an education - please learn from my mistake! Different banks charge different exchange rates- WAY different. I just put 50K in by brother's Scotiabank account to facilitate buying a Canadian boat. I had been monitoring the twice daily exchange rate postings online. But when the transfer went through, it was 1,000 dollars or 2% less than I expected. I thought my banker here would learn what the rate would be when the wire went through - but no, he just punches the numbers in.

So here is what I found out too late. Scotiabank's automated phone lines quote that, for today, they are buying American dollars for 1.18 Canadian, and selling American dollars for 1.26 Canadian, on amounts under 10K. A frickin' 8% swing!!!! Now I got a little better rate than that due to the larger amount.

Then I looked for another bank in Canada, chose HSBC and called their automated line. They are buying at 1.216 and selling at 1.251 So, less than a 1% difference. So the moral of the story is - if you don't want to be legally ripped off, call different banks to check their exchange rates via automated lines, then talk to a bank officer there before proceeding.

Deals like this are what my Dad used to call "paying for an education".
Jon
Spammer?: No

Post by Jon »

Good tip. When I bought my boat, my funding bank actually computed the exchange rate backwards and sent the wrong amount, lol. Be sure to double check even your banks' math, and your fish buyers' for that matter.