Smartest route for first boat.

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
elhewman
Spammer?: No

Smartest route for first boat.

Post by elhewman »

Thinking about moving from HT to Power trolling. In the mean time I am brainstorming the best possible Power Troller for a minimalist and a beginner like myself. I am open to wisdom from others but am looking the direction of a very small 26-30 ft wood double ender. I figure while I am still learning that this could cut on fuel and maintenance, but am secretly hoping I could stick with a smaller power troller and do OK even after I start to grasp things. I am open to any feedback as I want to be smart as possible getting started. In short, I am looking for the happy medium between making money on long trips, and having the least maintenance possible. I have a pretty low budget at about 30 grand so most fiberglass boats are out of my range. I've also seen some Dory's in Oregon with hydraulic gurdies, but the carrying capacity would be very little. However, a dory or large skiff would open the option of getting somewhere fast..........at an extra cost in fuel. My problem with purchasing boats is I can over emphasize something, such the benefits of small engine, but then lose out everyday the weather is a problem. Other people seem to go overboard on "bigness" and don't always need it. Not sure what's the smartest route.

I appreciate this forum and any advice given. Thanks
akfish1

Re: Smartest route for first boat.

Post by akfish1 »

I am just going into my second year so take my opinion lightly. I would say buy as much as you can afford. Try and get something as close to 40ft as you can at least 36. You might spend 25 grand on something thats 30ft then want to upgrade in a couple years but might not be that easy.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

36' is a good number.
Glass? Your going to pay now.
Wood ? Your going to pay later thru maintenance and your time.
Farro Cement? Rusty chicken wire scares me but like my dad said they all sink and they all float!
Steel? A lot of guy love it! Not for me though.
Aluminum ? Generally costly.
Stainless? Yep I have seen them. Gold Beach ?
How about a hybrid to get started with?
Fiberglass over plywood around same price as wood maybe a little less maintenance intensive but more user friendly for personal repair. Arguably stronger , lighter or more durable than both of the aforementioned options if built correctly.
I have owned a 38' x 14' boat for most of my fishing career fished Crab, Herring, Black Cod , Trolled for Salmon. Never went more than 30 miles offshore much but didnt have to worry about fuel as it held 400 gallons. Held plenty of potable water 200 gallons had a decent size engine room with refrigeration. It was a good sized platform for a multitude of fisheries for a one or two man operation. I had a 32 x 12 glass boat as well. It was much less capable and less comfortable than the 38' one. Have a 26 x 11 glass and its like a Toyota Tacoma doing the work a Peterbuilt should be doing. Every thing is always in the way and not enough room.

Which ever way you go make sure you get a good sea boat"one that has been there done that" that has a proven catch record if you can. Oh and get it surveyed by someone who who comes with good references. Call the references! If you go wood and don't do the surveyor take a hard look @ the bow stem and stern stem if double ender. Look @ the garbord planks ask when the last time the keel bolts have been changed. Try to look for cracked paint this will show you spots that are working. Look at the bend of the ribs in the fish hold for rot. If the boat has skin in the fish hold proceed with caution. Make sure you don't get a boat that has machinery from the 1800's. I had a boat once with a Paragon hydraulic gear, NIGHTMARE!!!! Double enders do ride nice in a following sea generally better than a square or fan tailed stern. I grew up on a double ender we caught a lot of fish on it it was 36' big enough to trip fish. Wonderful memories.
I love boats in general but the ones that are the most sexiest to me are the classic wood hulls with the great lines. Get one of those and you can have a heavy built nice sea boat and ride in style.

Most important.

Have fun looking!
JYDPDX

Post by JYDPDX »

I agree with the above. The extra you spend on fuel will be made up and then some by increased efficiency of your operation. If small boats were the best equilibrium between costs and production everyone would have one. All boats require lots of maintenance. You will probably grow out of the 30' boat very quickly and then be pressed with losing the money you inevitably put into it and start all over with a new boat in a few years.

If you look at costs in terms of a raw number it will do you no good. You need to think of expenses as a ratio to your gross, or profit margin. Having higher expenses does not necessarily mean less profit. The difference between a 26-30' boat and a 36-42" boat, in your case, depending on hull and engine, probably pencils out to 3 or $4k per year in increased fuel/oil cost.

But, what do you get for that:

Comfortable place to live, quality of life improvement.
Space and accommodation for crewman
Will not run out of ice / longer trips
Less time spent running in and out to deliver
Waste less time running in to town for fuel, ice or groc.
Feel safer on the edge of impending weather and can fish longer where you want to fish sometimes
And most importantly, no losing money improving a boat that is only temporary (aka a money pit)

There are guys with ~30' foot boats that do very very well and they are very inexpensive (relatively) to run, but they do have limitations and I think it at least evens out in the end if you put the time in.

Another dillema that might relate is to have or not have a deckhand. I stubbornly refused to take a crewman for my first couple season and I struggled tremendously to keep up but was happy with what I got and liked being solo on my boat. I also figured that I was saving a lot of money by doing the extra work and not having to pay someone. That was not the case. I was losing money. The extra expense of having a crewman way more than pays for itself in increased efficiencies and you increase your profit margin.

I don't know if I would want to take a crewman on a 30' boat. Just not enough space.

In the end it depends on what you are looking to do. If you are serious about this and committed for the long haul and want maximize profit, I would recommend getting the bigger boat if you can find one in decent condition. I know they exist. A friend of mine just sold his absolutely turn key 42'er for $30k.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

Very interesting discussion. I think a lot of factors come into play when deciding what boat is right for you. Everybody has a different financial situation when entering into trolling. Be realistic about your mechanical abilities and your abilities to catch fish, and then go from there.
elhewman

Post by elhewman »

Thanks for the insight. Lots of real advice received. Its amazing how newbies like me get their imaginations going saying " I will do it differently than everybody else and still come out even". Anyway, Before I spend my savings and go into debt all at once, I better think hard about your advice. Perhaps keeping it simple and safe means having a little more boat than what I intended. Good stuff that I need to digest. Thanks guys.
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by curmudgeon »

And above all... Easthope gurdies!! :-)
Have fun looking!