F/V Myrth "First Year Blues"

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

F/V Myrth "First Year Blues"

Post by joeman79 »

Well I am back in the Flatlands of Kansas after 3 and 1/2 months of being in SE AK on my Troller the F/V Myrth. My temporary deckhand said that Myrth stood for "My Yatch Ride through Hell" He did not know how right he was!! Needless to say I went through alot of ups and downs this summer and overall it was an extremely tough summer for me. 90% of my trouble were with the boats engine.
I will just write a short summary of my summer with some additional Comments.
NEVER ever buy a boat sight unseen, and if you do, have someone that is a serious fisherman/Mechanic look at the boat and talk extensively to the past owner and crew before you do anything. Also do not trust people you never met to fix and work on your boat prior to your arrival. I was anxious and gullible and entrusted someone who said they could fix anything and knew how a Troller needed to be setup. In the end I was out alot of money and ended redoing nearly everything they said they fixed.
I arrived in Juneau May 28th to pick up the Boat. May 1st we set sail for Hoonah.
Sat in Hoonah for 3 weeks tied to the boards waiting on the Dogs to show and they never did. Fished lower Chatham for a few days when the Boat started overheating and soon there was water in the oil.
Got towed over 100 miles to Craig by the best group of trollers a guy could ever meet!! No one would take a dime for any services they provided me.
Made it to Craig and with the assistance of another great new friend pulled the head off my 471 to find that the number 3 Cylinder head gasket was burnt out, and the head was slightly damaged. Instead of having it rebuilt then I decided just to put in a new gasket kit as it was 3 days till the King opener. The motor ran like a top, but Richard Klein the most awesome diesel mechanic in Southeast reminded me this fix may last an hr a month or maybe longer. I was excited because that was the day before the King Salmon opener
For being my first year as a boat owner I set my Goal at 100 King salmon for the season. By day 4 I did that!! I was a happy Troller. I just fished inside for the most part as I did not trust the boat and did not want to deal with the drag off Noyes being a rookie. 5th day of King season the boat started overheating again. My fix seemed short lived but then it quit getting hot. I continued fishing Cohos and did very good I thought until the 28th of July and then it happened again the motor got hot and stayed hot and I was dead in the water.
I made the call to Richard telling him I wanted to rebuild the engine ASAP, He told me with any luck and if I helped we could have the project done in 2 to 3 weeks. So I deckhanded for a week on the F/V Sea Scape and came in after a 9 day trip to find out that the motor had been bored out 10 thousandths and some of the parts we ordered would have to be reordered. Went on another 9 day trip and came back and helped Richard for a day doing final prep to motor and head. Went back to my boat for the evening and Richard called and said you need to come out here. I knew then this was not going to be a good thing, and it was not. The number 3 cylinder had been sleeved and who ever did did it wrong and did not leave a lip for the liner to set on. That is why the head was getting beat to death. So we ordered a new block that should be in this week and next spring we will put the motor back in and PRAY my luck on the misbegotten F/V Myrth will improve.
Had a great summer overall, learned so much from others it was priceless!! Found out I DO want to be a Troller and through all my problems and situations I kept a good attitude and positive outlook.
Charlie on the F/V Mixie in the Craig Harbor told me time and time again. Keep your head up and persevere, things will get better and the fish gods will take care of you.
Met some of the greatest guys and gals ever on my trip and can't wait to get back next spring. Just thought I would let some of you that I talk to here let you know how I was and where I was this summer. Never made it north of Warren Channel.
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: F/V Myrth "First Year Blues"

Post by carojae »

Glad you survived the first year Joe - way to go - you luck is bound to change. Did Ken make back to Kansas with ya?
Hope to see you up here in Icy Straits again for some dog fishin.
Thanks for the update.

Jim
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Nice report Joe.

My first season power trolling I spent 22 days in Port Alexander waiting for a new shaft. Good advice. Good luck next year.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

Ken is still up there says he may fish for awhile in Oct then head back to Kansas. His son came up in early August and has turned Ken into a slipper skipper with a never ending grin on his face. I sure hope to be back in Hoonah in June for sure. And thanks Salty I planned on having some down time just not quite half of the season LOL,
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

Thanks for the update. Congrats on the kings, and you are in good hands with Richard. I saw the "Myrth" tarped off in the harbor a few day ago and wondered what was going on. When you make it back to town we'd love to have you over for dinner.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

I would enjoy that what Boat do you have? I will look u up.
JKD

Post by JKD »

Thanks for the update, Joe. It reminded me of the month of August in the late 60s that I switched from hand-cranking Coho in a skiff to leasing a small power troller. The "Bronco II" was a wooden Bristol Bay gillnet hull that had a stubborn gasoline engine. All in all it was a "trying experience". I spent the majority of my time trying to keep the engine running while trolling at low RPMs, and trying to catch enough fish so I could afford to pay for the gas (some of which I was finding in the bilge every morning). I was very lucky that I didn't manage to blow the operation sky-high due to a leaky caburator and fuel lines. At the end of that season I had a new appreciation for power trolling and a well-stocked tool box.

Good luck next fishing season with your new Jimmy.