monterrey clipper conversion

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Breadline
Spammer?: No

monterrey clipper conversion

Post by Breadline »

i picked up 32 monterrey clipper this summer and want to convert it to power troll. It currently has big blocky aft cabin on it and so this will be a clean sweep from the wheelhouse back.
So, the question is; if you had a clean slate, how would you configure your deck and holds? I am thinking of slush tanks. What are your thoughts? Also, the boat is not documented, cfec said that would not be a problem for getting numbers, am i going to have an issue down the road? They are not very big 32 footers and may not measure more than 5 tons anyway?
I will try to include a pic. But can't figure it out just yet.
Thanks for your thoughts.
JKD

Re: monterrey clipper conversion

Post by JKD »

To begin with - definately go with slush tanks. That was the single best thing I have done to simplify my handling of both round and dressed fish on my troller. Try to configure your tanks so they are all the same size so that your brailer bags will all be the same size and inter-changeable. Make an effort to insulate each tank to hold ice as well as possible and prevent heat transfer from both the engine compartment and the shaft alley.
Breadline

Post by Breadline »

Do you slush all your fish, or do you also find that using the brai
er bags are useful for iceing as well?
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mydona »

I always slush if given the choice and am delivering with in 3 days. As long as the slush is thick enough to prevent de-scaling in rolling seas, I think it's a better product. Icing in to brailers makes for a faster job unloading, clean up/ sanitizing and re-icing is easier, which the guys in line behind you'll appreciate. You'll pack fewer fish icing in a brialer rather than "hard icing" the hold. Also it's possible to crush the bottom fish if you over load a bag. Try and distribute the weight between the available bags. Keep them well under 1000 lbs
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

With slush you'll have to pack the weight of water as well as fish and that might be an issue with a Monterey. With just a couple hundred fish you may be able to hand unload out of ice
Breadline

Post by Breadline »

Reportedly the clippers can pack around 4000#. I assume that is fish and ice combined, if so, then a couple hundred kings may be about right. Might it then just make more sense to hand pitch?
Thank you all for the feedback.
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

Without seeing your boat, I would suggest a small slush bin for chilling and then icing fish conventionally
JKD

Post by JKD »

In answer to your questions above - the brailer bags are useful no matter how you handle your fish. My handling system is very similar to what 'mydona' described above. I try to deliver dressed salmon when my first fish aboard are 3 days-old. On most of of my trips I belly-ice [and layer-ice] the first few feet of layered fish in my brailer bags. I could go longer than 3 days but generally I slush my fish that last day of the trip. For round salmon I slush in each tank as the fish are added and try to deliver every day.