Trolling Pole Length

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Jamill45
Spammer?: No

Trolling Pole Length

Post by Jamill45 »

Hello all-

I am in the process of restoring an old power troll vessel that was used as a pressure craft for a number of years. The vessel is 43 ft in length by 14 ft 2 inches in width. I recently acquired a used set of what I call stabilizer poles approx. 20 ft in length with front stays. I am wondering how much length I should add to these poles for the size of boat I have? Is there a math formula?

Thanks for the help

Jake
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Trolling Pole Length

Post by Salty »

Poles should be about the length of the boat. Mine are a bit longer though at about 40 feet.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

I have a question I'll add on to this thread:

Are you guys down in Cali/WA/Or running floats and heavies off of your smaller, more trailerable boats? How does that work on a 23-25ft boat, and how long do your poles need to be to not be in tangle city?
thediverdude
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by thediverdude »

Based central California. Boat 26 foot. Poles 24 feet. Running floats and heavies (50 and 40 lb in deeper water). Often don't run the floats when fishing shallow and drop the weight down to 35/25 lb (less to loose on snags). Most small boats here are set up to run floats. Don't have tangle issues except when I do something stupid.
Scotthmt

Post by Scotthmt »

I run floats and don't have tangle problems unless I try to run something in a turn, I run shears/side planers/planer boards on my heavies.

I did have a problem in heavy current in the deep water running 17 stops
akfish1

Post by akfish1 »

I have a 43' with 36ft poles I believe. I run 60's on heavies and 40 on floats. Never have tangles even in deep water or heavy current. Always try and speed up quite a bit on tight turns.