Winter troll fishery

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
tunaddict
Spammer?: No

Winter troll fishery

Post by tunaddict »

HI. Not as important as Crawfish's post. PLEASE READ HIS. I am trying to find info on the winter salmon fishery. Is it a productive fishery. I do Oregon now but don't like crabbing or black cod or anything else down here. I am curious if the fall openings are worth getting into with the idea of it opening doors for the summer season. Thanks for any replies
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Winter troll fishery

Post by Salty »

Not really. The winter troll season opens on Oct 11th just in time for fall storms. There is usually fair fishing for a few days after the opening when weather permits. From then until April it is a scratch fishery by almost all local guys poking around when the weather allows. Lots of skunks or one or two fish and then maybe a day of 4 or 5 if you are lucky. Price is good in winter. It is $8.00 per lb in Sitka now.
In April things heat up and up to 150 boats a day will work the winter line outside Sitka. 90% or more of the fish caught near Sitka in April are probably caught near the line. It is a line up crowded jousting troll fishery. I have fished it every year since 1978. I refuse to do it more than a symbolic pass or two anymore. But, the big boats who grind on it every day in April make expenses.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

So much for prostigidnations, it has been fair fishing all winter season when the weather allowed, which hasn't been much. But, as usual, almost all the fish have been right on the winter line which leaves me out. I don't see any lights coming in tonite though.. Only one the last few nights.
Cfood

Post by Cfood »

Salty,
Recently i heard pretty good fishing over the last couple weeks and sounded like price was near $10. Any truth to the rumors? We're CA crabber so no threat to crowd you out, just curious as your winter troll fishery tends to set the bar for our spring fishing.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

One good day in January I heard about. Weather has been tough and predicted that way till maybe a window on Sunday. Price is $10.00 or better I hear. I got skunked my one day out. No lights coming in tonite.
Cfood

Post by Cfood »

thanks