cost of outfitting a boat/ questions

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
RRM

cost of outfitting a boat/ questions

Post by RRM »

I am looking at getting a new boat in the near future (next month) and have had my eye on a couple different vessels. One is already rigged and ready to go, the other is what the sellers refer to as "Ex-Troller" meaning missing gurdies and poles but is a nicer boat , I am new to this fishery and am curious as to how much it would cost to outfit the nicer "ex troller", it has stabi. poles,but am not sure if those could be added on to or what, also has nice hayrack, and hydraulic lines are capped for gurdies.any advise or estimations on how much it would cost to get rigged would be greatly appreciated.thanks guys.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: cost of outfitting a boat/ questions

Post by Salty »

I bought a used set of three spool East Hopes with motors and valves for $5,000 14 months ago. Rigging and equipping a troller can get expensive real fast as opposed to fishing one already to go. Almost anything you get will require some work though.
Good luck!!
Jon
Spammer?: No

Post by Jon »

If the poles are aluminum and are stout enough, it would probably cost anywhere from $500 to $1000 to add pole tips with all the eyes and whatnot. There was a set of 2-spool Kolstrand gurdies for $1500 on craigslist. I'm not sure if they're still available but I have the sellers email address if you would like to contact him. Kolstrand being quite inferior to Easthope, but a lot of people use them.

I bet you could find some really cheap trolling gear in Canada, Washington, or Oregon, since they have little to no troll industry anymore. But that's a long way from Klawock :x

I would say go for one that's already rigged and ready unless the other boat is truly almost fishable. It could get very expensive very fast rigging a boat to troll from scratch.
RRM

Post by RRM »

The poles are stout and aluminum, i ve seen those gurdies on craigs list too. Thanks Alot guys your posts have been really helpfull. I think id be able to afford to rig the nicer fiberglass boat. this was definetly the perfect place for this question.