Wood Boats

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
bigjoe

Wood Boats

Post by bigjoe »

I think I talked to gumpucky on the phone about the Moab?I would like some ponters on how to spot bad thing on the wood boats.I'm looking at a boat in Coos Bay, OR the :? Sunset
tacorajim
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Wood Boats

Post by tacorajim »

The main thing that wrecks older wood trollers is 'the rotten hold syndrome'.

What happens is someone will insulate between the ribs, skin the ribs, or not, insulate another layer and skin that , without allowing the ribs and inside planking to breathe. All wood beneath the outer skin suffocates. Furthermore, rot colonization may be accelerated by fresh water intrusion from leaky decks/covering boards above. If the hold was truly sealed (insulated) without ventilation, what you can't see generally begins to mold and then rot after a few years. Ten years of suffocation spells major bucks. You may have to re-rib the hold area, replace several planks and deck beams, possibly some decking and covering boards as well, unless the hold insulation project allowed for adequate ventilation.

Marine Surveyors rarely go here. But if I otherwise loved a Kettenburg like the Sunset, I would Hole Saw 4 places about 2 inches in diameter to reach the inside of the hull planks. Go for coffee. If these holes stink when you get back, deduct $12.000.

The good part is that when you correct the 'rotten hold syndrome', you must recork, refasten, and refinish.

It's not that big a deal, really. I worked with my shipwright and this is where I came up with the figure above.
mswkickdrum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Post by mswkickdrum »

Joe,
I am NO expert but I asked a lot of questions and bugged everyone I could find on many, many dock walks
about just such a concern. Eventually I ended up with a boat that needs lots of love but no major
wood work. If you take some time to hit all the harbors in Oregon I think you will find what you're
looking for at a good price. The reality is that an old wood fishing boat is worthless to anyone but
someone who needs it to fish, i.e. as a tool. Not very many folks looking to get into trolling
these days, many in Oregon getting out. They don't make good pleasure boats as over 70% of the
boat is business and very little is comfort. Climbing through a hole in the floor to sleep
in a musty foresol doesn't hold much for the pleasure boater and revamping the hold area doesn't
meld well with the rest of the boat's layout. So more or less, to the boating market they
are worthless when you consider the constant upkeep for a wood boat. That's why I could
afford one. I think I've seen that one you're talking about on the website for Oregon permits.
Talk to the owner and ask who has last done wood work on the hull etc. Then TALK TO THEM.
That's who is gonna know what's up with the hull. That is what made me make the jump on
buying my boat. I found out from the local "boat yard guy" that the hull had been
re-corked and fastened in 3 or so years ago by him and when he did it the frames looked good.
So I should be good for at least a "few years". More actually, as if it only needed to
be done at this point (75yrs) it should be good for my carrier. The thing about hitting
the docks is what's VERY important, that's how I met Salmon Sam, Jon's brother Joe,
Louie on the Spencer, Jeff, and a ton of others who all had great insight and advice
including Jim who's post is above. If you hit every harbor in Oregon you will find the gem
in the rough you need. Most likely will be in a price range and able to work a
deal that can work for you. That is how I found mine, not advertised anywhere and the
phone number on the for sale sign was faded away. Had to ask guys around on other
boats to track owner down. That's where I met Jim, his boat is a couple slips from mine.
Saw him last weekend when I was putting tarps on mine to reduce rain leakage. In Ilwaco
I'm sure to soon be hated as no doubt the tarps will fly loose in some storm, but I tried.
Anyway, Jims boat I IMMACULATE!!! You should see it, completely beautiful. What he's
advising is from experience, he said his was the "dredge of the harbor" when he got it
and now it is gorgeous.
You have to go on a mining expedition to find the gold. It pays off, and you'll
learn A LOT.

P.S.
go to this site,

http://www.nero.noaa.gov/nero/neropermits/

and on the page is a link to the coast guards document search
page, you can search boats by name or document number (that’s usually on
the side of the cabin on a commercial fish boat) it should show the
owner and some info, then you can search for a phone number etc.
elsewhere. If a boat looks unattended its probably for
sale. Most will be amazed that anyone’s interested in it when you
call. Its JUST LIKE finding old cars in fields.
If you need, shoot me a private message and I'll give you
a list of all the boats I saw that I didn't buy, many ok,
just more money that the one I bought.

Best of luck!
MSW
bigjoe

Post by bigjoe »

The Sunset has had the hold done 10 ribs and some of the planking done that is on the ad for her.Joe owns the boat it has alot of the gear to fish with and the permit for OR asking 19,900.I dont think it will stay in OR the place is SE AK BIGJOE