monterey clipper? seaworthyness?too small?

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
herring rigger

monterey clipper? seaworthyness?too small?

Post by herring rigger »

I'm looking at making the move from hand to power. I see a few of the clippers around seem kinda small, toy like.I have looked at the one for sale on this forum
it seems about 15 thousand over priced considering 8,000 hrs on a rebuild. Are they seaworthy for their size? Do they have inherent problems,decks,water leaks from the top side, fuel tank issues ect ect. what is the typical going rate for these boats. I do have a beach job so trolling is part time in the sitka area. Any info on these boats would be helpful. what are the pros and cons of this boat. thanks
Jon
Spammer?: No

Re: monterey clipper? seaworthyness?too small?

Post by Jon »

I haven't owned one but i know people who do and they are extremely sea-worthy and sturdy vessels. They're also very sea-kindly, kind of bobbing around like a duck as opposed to rolling hard and smacking into waves. I'd say the perfect boat for a single person power or hand trolling. You can replace the engine with a new Isuzu for a few grand which will burn 1/3 to 1/2 gallon per hour trolling, a bit more running, for maybe 3/4 to 1gph overall avg.

I'd say the absolute low price would be 30k and some are worth up to 65k.
Bigwave jim

Re: monterey clipper? seaworthyness?too small?

Post by Bigwave jim »

Clippers are ok boats for one person. But, after owning several small boats and lusting after the clipper, I accepted the advice from a post on buying a boat.

I took to heart the comment made by a guy who's walked the walk, and done the deed. His comments where made from experience- basically, he said, buy the most boat you can afford. Spend the money, which should equate to having a boat that will work, will function, and won't cost you a ton of money in the long run.

I can say from my experience, that is good advice. After buying a boat I thought was a real bargin, I had crappy electronics, then, the engine blew, and I ended up spending WAY more then I thought I could afford. Needless to say, I've sold my money pit, and forked out the most money I could afford for a 40' glass boat with all the goodies. Meaning, i don't have to worry about mechanical issues, and I have an asset that will be productive long into the future.

Clippers are good, but small. Think about your furture needs and how functional your asset will be as you fish the season.

It's all good and clippers are a solid small boat.