Berthing

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Josh

Berthing

Post by Josh »

I'm just wondering where many of you guys live while you are in SE fishing? Does everyone live on their boats even while in port or do lots of guys have RV's, cheap rentals?? It seems like many guys don't live in SE year round and I'm curious as to what you do while you are up there.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Berthing

Post by Salty »

I live in a home in Sitka with a great view of the Sound and Mt. Edgecumbe. Two of my partners live on their boats. One lives in California and Mexico in the winter. One lives in Port Townsend. There are all kinds of living arrangements. Some guys have small trailers here they live in during the summer and then south in the winter.
Sunsets_002.jpg
Sunsets_002.jpg (43.46 KiB) Viewed 5972 times
From Jordan's deck
From Jordan's deck
Sunsets_003.jpg (58.11 KiB) Viewed 5972 times
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

Wow! Nice view man, guess there's no sneaking out without you knowing about it huh? I always liked Sitka back in my longline crewman days, lots of fun, and beautiful country. I could have probably lived there back then, but I think it's probably getting a little to big for me now. Seems like a lot of the kind of people I wouldn't get along with to well have moved in too.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Yeah, wow, those are some great views, beautiful. What I want to know is if there are still reasonable deals to be had on small pieces of land to put up a cabin or if there are rv lots that have reasonable long term rates? I worked on the Kenai in the late 90's and I'm looking at trolling as a part time summer endeavor to get myself back up there and as a way to expose my kids to some of the better things Alaska has to offer. A dream now, but hopefull a reality someday.
thanks,
Josh
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Pretty spendy to try and buy a lot here. But there are a number of trailer courts. A good friend of ours just bought an old trailer, but with a great view, and is fixing it up. There is an RV park right next to the pole float and adjacent to Sealing Cove harbor.