November weather

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
robert644

November weather

Post by robert644 »

Good morning,

I am planning on traveling to Southeast next year, in late November to be exact, and am doing some preliminary work on the details right now. I will be traveling from Seattle with a truck, 20' boat, and a trailer, and looking at the costs I'm a little dismayed. Placing everything on the ferry is almost $3000 dollars, which is quite a bit of money to me. I have always wanted to drive from Seattle to Juneau, by boat, and I can make the journey cheaper driving the boat the 1000 miles, shipping the car on the ferry and the trailer on AML. I thought this would be a great thing to do, then I remembered working on 60' longliner in Chatham strait in November of' '93 and questioned the sanity of driving a 20' boat from Seattle to Juneau in November.

Then again I spent several winters trolling in the area and I remember it wasn't always so bad. It's a 'deep-v', heavy boat for a 20', made for near shore here on the East coast. I have got 11 more months to plan this, so perhaps I am just daydreaming about something completely ridiculous. When the time comes I'll have a much better idea of what the right course of action is. I figure on doing about 20mph the whole way, and giving myself a month or so I should be able to make it at least to Prince Rupert, if I stay behind the islands all the way up. Then again spending a month on a 20' boat freezing my butt off really isn't that appealing.

So is it possible, a worthwhile adventure, or just plain suicidal?

The boat in question is pictured below. I was hoping to spend some time with it this coming summer out by Cape cod.
Attachments
Different boat, same model.
Different boat, same model.
V20on110804pic1b.jpg (36.99 KiB) Viewed 9234 times
Jon
Spammer?: No

Re: November weather

Post by Jon »

Hi Robert.

Alot of 50-60' longliners make the trek in November. In my experience it's often harrowing and almost always very rough and slow going. I would either plan your trip between May and September (which must not be possible for you) or take the ferry. Considering fuel costs, your time, repairs, wear and tear, food & supplies, etc, how much are you saving over the ferry anyhow?

I think it's adventure enough in the summer. In the winter, yea, some people would call it suicidal, lol.
robert644

Post by robert644 »

Jon,

Well, the ferry is going to charge me $350, to ship my body to Juneau, and $1400 for the boat, some $1700 total. The way I figured it out so far is the boat burns 9gph at 34mph. This gets me 34 miles at 9 gallons, 3.7 mpg. For my 1000 mile trip to Alaska, that's 270 gallons. I'll guesstimate and say fuel at the pump is $3.50 (It's $2.20 for cars here in New York), so that's approx. $950 in gasoline for the trip. I would love to end my 5 years in the army making the journey.

Then again I can see myself lying on the bottom of the boat, praying for my life and the the thing is swept into the rocks of the shore of Canada. Or sinking in that cold water. Or trapped in some tiny Canadian village spending all my money to survive. All of which strike me as more of a reality than the $700 I would save.

I need to get to Alaska as quick as possible, to begin the residency process. I intend on going to school and the government won't pay non-resident tuition.

Thanks for your reply, it's very tempting to me to want to drive my boat to Juneau, but the reality of the situation is a different story I guess.
ericv
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ericv »

For Robert644 regarding your trip plans in November '09. I can appreciate your concerns with the cost of shipping your boat and accessories up here as well as your enthusiasm to take on such a trip. I agree 100% with what Jon has posted regarding adjusting the travel time from May to September. A few thoughts I have on the subject may be worth pondering.
It has been over 25 years that S.E. Alaska has been my home, like many, the woods, water and people are the best. With that comes a continued respect for the powers of Mother Nature and The Old Man Of The Sea. Novembers are brutal for storm warnings and very high tides (i.e. Thanksgiving Day 1984 storm) that can produce water conditions beyond description. Available daylight is minimal which increases the risk of hitting something stationary or floating. It's bad enough to be doing 7 knots, imagine the results at 20. Vessel traffic at this time is greatly reduced, those who are out often are very capable operators who's focus is just keeping their operations out of harms reach. Should a problem occur, fewer boats can respond or hear your calls for help, daylight is grim and risk to rescuer is extreme.
My job that pays for my trolling habit is one as an EMS Instructor with a emphasis on remote emergency medical care on land or sea. One of the biggest killers and contributors to death and injury up here is related to hypothermia, be it acute like suddenly falling in the water or the subtle effects from prolonged exposure to the elements. Even with a perfect fit on a survival suit, Category 1 GPS driven EPIRB attached to that and the best parachute flares money can buy, it is still a daunting event to survive and get rescued. I'm not implying any of this would happen, but one must approach this trip with the plan that it will indeed happen.
Ultimately the decision is yours, you have been here before and know the drill, time away however can diminish the memory of the bad days and enhance the good ones. By posting your plans is a indicator that you are one with an open mind and open to feedback which are critical survival skills up here. Risk to rescuers is a very real issue, the way we can reduce this is by careful and thoughtful trip planning. It's safe to say we'd welcome you up here to join the fleet, I just wouldn't want you to become an unnecessary candidate for the dubious Darwin Award.
Regards,
Eric Van Cise F/V New Hope Sitka
DiamondLil

Post by DiamondLil »

Hi Robert,
As always, advice is worth what you pay for it :)
This sounds like an adventure all right, and everyone has their own tolerance for pain, but there are some practical considerations to take into account. For one you'll start on your residency at least a month sooner by using some other method of getting to Juneau. For another, weather windows are infrequent, short, and unpredictable. It may take way more than a month. And then there is expense. Say you don't come to disaster out there somewhere. More likely you'll come to your senses in a place like Queen Charlotte Sound during a hurricane and wisely decide to bail. Making other arrangements at that point won't be easy or cheap.
You might make it to Juneau given enough time, but I'm guessing you'll really wish you'd spent the extra bucks for the ferry.
Regards,
Joe
F/V Diamond Lil
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

A couple years ago we took a car, and Easthope Gurdies, north on the Alaska ferry after Thanksgiving. Coming across Dixon Entrance it was blowing about 60 knots northerly and in the low teens. The spray would freeze by the time it hit the windows and superstructure making a nice tinkling noise. I suspect a guy in an open boat would have died.
Are you a single guy? If you come in the boat pictured and are careful then you probably will have time to get to know the Canadian women quite well. But then again you might get stuck in Petersburg.
I fished SE in a 19 foot handtroller for three years, 78-80. I own an 18 foot aluminum skiff which we use to hunt, sportfish, clam, etc. all the time. We are very very careful even in the protected waters around Sitka.
I would put it on a ferry.
aktroller

Post by aktroller »

Put your boat and trailer on AML, or Northand, and ride the ferry from Bellingham...I am sure that will give you a taste of the weather, and allow you to get your residency started in a timely manner.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Just a thought, but you could sell the boat at home, keep the money and buy something once you get to AK??