Clean your fish like a pro

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
ericv
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Clean your fish like a pro

Post by ericv »

This has been a great post. It shows just how resourceful and committed folks are when it comes to producing a quality product in addition to efficiency and ergromics. I single hand fish which works okay most of the time, however in those rare occasions when I do get buried, it has been a challenge. Add to this inclimate weather, tight and/or crowded drags or working an area with finicky depth ranges are the times I wish for that second hand. Our troller was originally designed for the gillnet fisheries so no cockpit to work in and the deck layout is not as efficient as it could be. Over time I have been able to streamline some of this and I do many of the same care and handling techniques as many of you have shared. I know I have lost fish on the lines simply from not being able to cycle the gear as quickly as I'd like, but from the ones who taught me the trade, quality trumps quantity. Ultimately our troller could use a complete deck makeover and redesign, however reality does hit home when it comes to funding such a project for a part time fisher. Meanwhile, I'll make it work, and quality will always be the priority. Thanks again to those who have posted here, lots of good information for us all.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Thanks ericv and others. Two meter troll could you send me a picture of your slush holding/bleeding bin? Sounds like a great idea to get them cold right away.

Here is another tip for those of you who are real quality concerned. Go to food service approved grease for your gurdies. Your gurdies are usually above or beside your fish landing/cleaning area. Salt water is always being sprayed on them, water is dripping off your wires on them. Processing plants are required to use food service approved grease on their equipment that comes in contact with fish. For years I had to get this grease at Sitka Sound Seafoods. But in the last couple of years Petro Marine has been carrying it in Sitka.
two meter troll

Post by two meter troll »

<Two meter troll could you send me a picture of your slush holding/bleeding bin? Sounds like a great idea to get them cold right away.>

Sure thing Salty.
Jon
Spammer?: No

Post by Jon »

Topic closed.