Hydraulic setup help needed

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
SteelheadStalker
Spammer?: No

Hydraulic setup help needed

Post by SteelheadStalker »

I have a turnbull electric clutch hydraulic setup I think its a Vickers pump...4 single spool turnbull gurdies...I bought the boat with these things included but had been removed a while back...I'm setting it all back up and wondering what all parts are crucial...it has a filter inline with a gardenhose valve connected...is that for flow control? then another deal with a dial on it that's all froze up has 2 hoses in and 1 out...just need a basic rundown of the hydraulic system in a boat, the pump has a reservoir on it, how many valves does it need and for what purpose?
lone eagle
Spammer?: No

Re: Hydraulic setup help needed

Post by lone eagle »

the dial thing sounds like a flow control valve
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Hydraulic setup help needed

Post by Once and Future »

Yeah, this is going to be hard to decipher in writing... but like above post says, the "dial thing" is probably a flow control valve. You can verify if the ports are labeled as follows:

I think they are: IN (for inlet), CF (for controlled flow), and EX (for exhaust), or maybe it's OUT for outlet. Anyway, 100% of flow goes in the inlet, and it's then divided into the other two ports by the dial which goes through an arc of 90 degrees or better. All the way one way puts full flow through the CF port. All the way the other way puts full flow through EX port. And in between, obviously, divvies it up proportionally. These valves are often included in the circuit as a safety pressure relief valve, as well as flow control. There is a spring loaded ball which will divert pressure to the exhaust line in an over-pressure situation. This will save your pump from breaking, etc.

As far as someone writing out a post to tell you how to plumb the complete hydraulic circuit, that is a tall order. I think you are going to have to find someone to look at it with you in person. Even posting pictures wouldn't get you where you need to go...