Isolating gurdies

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
JKD
Spammer?: No

Re: Isolating gurdies

Post by JKD »

Lulu - Thanks for the McMaster-Carr tip. I will be ordering some fiberglass bolts and nuts for replacing the stainless steel mounting fasteners currently used on my Easthopes.
Scotthmt

Post by Scotthmt »

I just found out how to post pictures
Attachments
image.jpg
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

Those gurdies look like they are well mounted, are those pipes coming out of the valves non conductive? I have only seen the flexible orange type for non conductive hydraulic line.
Scotthmt

Post by Scotthmt »

There are two 1' sections of non conductive orange hose before and after the gurdies, you just can't see it in the picture.
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

Oh gotcha, makes more sense. That isolation is an important one. The hydraulic lines on the pressure side are reinforced with steel as you probably know. I once had my black box values jumping around for no apparent reason and finally found that the rim or one of the gurdies was coming in contact with the connection of the pressure hose to the non conductive. Just had to tie down the hose away from the gurdies and solved the problem but the point is they definitely do conduct.
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

The reason for isolating the hydraulic line is the flow of fluids in the hose causes electrical current to flow in the hose's steel reinforcement braid. It is called a standing wave. You have to have at least one break on the high pressure side. It doesn't have to be long. Wrap the hose with Petro tape then electrical tape to keep the salt off. Salt build up is a great conductor and you can't always see it.