Stick angle

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Scotthmt
Spammer?: No

Stick angle

Post by Scotthmt »

I've had a lot of time to think about and reflect on how the boat is set up with it being the offseason and all.

I'm curious if there are any downsides to lowering my sticks more. All I've found by searching and reading is that you don't want them too low that they are in danger of dipping in the water if the wind kicks up, and you don't want to make them sit too low that it's difficult to retrieve and raise the sticks.

My sticks are definitely nowhere close to touching the water, and pulling them up is easy, the ease of pulling up May depend on the angle of the tip line, from tower to tip. I can see a negative angle may make it more difficult to retrieve.

I'd like to lower them a little bit to spread my floppers out a little more and gain more stability, and gain a little bit more spread between my heavies.

I included a picture for reference. You can also see the tattle line I put on it at the advice of salty, although I didn't remove my springs and the tattle line is made of elastic cord, but it does the job superbly, bites are very easy to see.
Attachments
image.jpg
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Stick angle

Post by SilverT »

I am curious too. I saw an albacore troller with them almost parallel with the water, but there wasn't much weight hanging.

Lane
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

This is the angle I've got right now on my little 23' powertroller I'm rigging up.
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by SilverT »

Kelper,

Thanks for posting the picture. That looks similar to what I remember for angle. Nice looking boat and should be even more enjoyable with the power permit.

All the best for your season,

Lane
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

Pros of high poles: The higher the "poles" ;) , the less strenuous the stabilizers and troll gear are on your boat and overall rigging as there is less leverage available to the gear in the water tugging on your mast, pulleys and deck hardware. Also, the higher the pole, the less up and down pitching because of wave action you will get on your fishing lines (and might save a few fish with this in mind). A lower pole has more up and down tugging because of wave action pulling fish off your hook and lines.
If you use fair-leads on your taglines (as opposed to a clothes pin), you will have a little less problem attaching your snaps because of your high poles have less tendency to allow the fair-leads to drop below your reach when running gear. Lower poles offer less help keeping your fair-leads up above your zone for attaching snaps (a must in getting your gear up and down quickly).
Cons: Your gear tends to hang back further - the higher your tag attachment on your (high) pole - leading to tangles and less allowable turning radius. Other things to consider: 1. you could pull your float bag over your main if it is hanging back too far 2. the currents may pull your heavy or main closer to your boat and also cause a tangle if you got your other line near the boat checking gear etc usually at the most inappropriate time. TANGLES will destroy a good day of fishing...

Pros of low poles:
The lower your poles, the better spread you have (less tangles). Also, you have more room to turn without hazarding a tangle. I personally think lower poles look better, but thats me :-) Tip: Many trollers attach their heavy's out on the tip for better spread and to make it faster to pull your floats (less distance) if you do use floats.
Cons:
Harder to pull up when you need to.
They are harder to pull on bigger boats.

I'm getting carried away....
Scotthmt

Post by Scotthmt »

Thanks for that info, that's basically what I've gathered from hours of thinking and research. I've rebuilt my rigging and overbuilt it so help with the stress. I have added a sleeve to the rod that connects the stick to the tower (I don't know the technical term for it) and the sleeve has holes drilled in it and I am through bolting it to extend the sticks to whatever length i figure would give me the angle I am looking for. As far as the fair lead issue, when the first snap comes up I grab the tagline/fair lead and toss it over the end of the Davit which prevents it from going back in the water, I do the same when I am sending gear down. I'm going to expirment soon and I'll have pictures soon.