Fiberglass bolts

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fiberglass bolts

Post by carojae »

Anyone have a affordable source for buying limited quantities for these bolts and nuts (5/6"x2", 3/8" x 2") ?

Thank,

Jim
Breadline
Spammer?: No

Re: Fiberglass bolts

Post by Breadline »

I had trouble finding fiberglass bolts in reasonable quantities and finally ended up buying 3/8" x 48" threaded rod with the corresponding flanged nuts from eplastics.com
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

McMaster-Carr Google their web site. Then type "fiberglass fasteners" in their search window. They have it all including flanged nuts (you wouldn't need washers and the nut is deeper than standard nuts giving you more holding surface)
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

Thank you for the reply Lulu.
Great site and it's just what was wanting with quantities I can afford.

Jim
Scotthmt

Post by Scotthmt »

I used pvc and hooked a whale, almost lost my Gurdy but was able to cut the wire in time

John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by John Murray »

now that's what I call a testimonial,thanks I'm changing mine.We luck out while anchoring in Malisbury in late July,a whale chasing feed came between the boat and stabi line it got caught in stabi haul back line broke that, lucky it wasn't caught in stabi line.
Scotthmt

Post by Scotthmt »

Just installed fiberglass bolts, they don't take well to over torquing, seems they have no stretch at all, tighten too much and they snap. I think in the offseason I will remount with steel bolts and fiberglass washers and insulating tubes.
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Correct, you can not over torque fiberglass like SS. However, there is no concern of stray current passing through or along fiberglass as one will have with metal bolts
I've used fiberglass for years. Caught three wires on a reef, being to aggressive fishing a pile of bait, pulled the davit, literally to the deck, bent the gurdie's shaft, and the bolts held without budging. Can't do that with nylon. Metal bolts defeat any efforts to isolate the gurdies. In my opinion, fiberglass is the best choice and a lot less expensive compared to SS