A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
gchuba
Spammer?: No

Post by gchuba »

I am a new member and introducing myself. I recently purchased a 23' 1977 Penn Yan fiberglass inboard with tunnel drive. I am going to fish out of Bodega. Back in the late 70's early 80's I probably saw it going out to fish from Sausalito when I sold and split firewood from Schoonmakers (when there were dunes not a marina). Part of what we called then the "Mosquito Fleet" which I believe is also referred to as the "Bandit Skiffs". I plan on keeping the rod/reel set up intact.

I grew up fishing. My dad owned a tackle shop, went to MO for a while at Ozark Fisheries, then back to the northeast where my dad cared for the fish at Coney Island Aquarium. I left fishing about my junior year of high school and after a 30 year sabbatical... 5 years ago figured I should return to something I love. I also have a 1979 22' Boston Whaler Revenge which I am setting up for charter. I originally purchased the Penn Yan for the Salmon Permit but have picked up quite an affection for the boat. I am plumbing in hydraulics and plan to keep the vessel.

I hope to get some information for fishing and rigging as well as contribute for any topic which I may be qualified. Been self employed my whole life, tractor/vehicle/boat mechanics for hobby and hire. Also have commercial fishing friends in Bodega and consider myself a member of the community. I volunteered the concrete finishing for the Town of Bodega's new firehouse. I look forward to meeting and sharing information with this club. My best....as a hint to my computer skills....this is the second time I typed up this info and thought I already posted it but could not find it....you may be getting two submissions with similar information. Tight lines.

Garris
Scotthmt

Re: New Member

Post by Scotthmt »

The learning curve is steep, forget everything you learned about how to catch salmon sport fishing, be prepared for a whole new set of problems, hanging crab pots, snapping wires, chasing floats. Don't forget how to punch a bait, if you want to be successful in bolinas that's the goto.

It's fun though.
gchuba

Re: New Member

Post by gchuba »

Scott,
Thanks for the reply. You envision a flat ocean, fish a biting, no tangles, etc.... I am well aware of the work ahead. I have always looked humbly at learning and know there is a learning curve in front of me. My best.
Garris