Commercial Salmon Trolling Forum

Hand Troll or Power Troll?

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.

Re: Hand Troll or Power Troll?

Postby capt.ron01 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:35 am

This is capt rons son. he tried to post and it did not go through.
in his opinion after fishing for 40 some years. and running boats round alaska, is use what you have that dory is plenty the hand toll isn't all that horrible, and the gear not that expensive dont go into debt. your boat is small enough to not need a hand till you move up, so its you and your boat. Till you get your feet under you dont worry about a hand. the gear is easy and if you have any skill at all you can make it yourself. As for gurdies buy the best you can afford and set your back deck up carefully so its all in place and easy to use. Dont go heavy on the balls but remember that this also means you wont go really deep (you can go deep if you tweak things a bit, but in general; unless you are masochistic, you wont want to). You can either buy aluminum poles (waste of good money IMO), use wood poles or just use a long arm davit set up with springs . Get a black box and tune the boat spend the time to isolate the boat gear so you can control line voltage (I am sure you know all of this) just fish two lines at first instead of going full goat, you can always move up if trolling is a good fit for you. set the boat up like the fishermen in the 30's and do it carefully keep it cheap.
And again Do Not Go Into Debt over this. After several businesses including a troller this is the most important bit of all.
you will need to upgrade some gear and get a few electronics just to do the job and this is the expensive bit. Ron says in his opinion just set up a single on a long arm davit for the first year. then you will know if trolling is a good fit.
thanks for reading.
on behest of Capt.ron1.
listening to the red's snicker, taunting me as they go upstream.
capt.ron01

Postby Salty » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:47 am

Wow, what a thoughtful thread. Enjoyed all the perspectives.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby TC92 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:44 pm

Once again, thanks everyone for their input and perspective. I've been stuck between a world of daydream/wonderlust and doing what is best for a family that depends on me and is the most important thing in my life! Once again my salmon trolling adventure is being put on hold for what i've decided is the best course for my family. I've made a ton of notes based on replies on this thread and everything else shared on this site. Once I do pull the trigger though, it is going to be a dream come true!
TC92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Puget Sound born and raised… currently land locked in Iowa

Previous

Return to Getting Started