Newbie with lots of questions

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Big ed
Spammer?: No

Newbie with lots of questions

Post by Big ed »

I am thinking about buying a boat and hand permit. I have several questions but will start with 2. How many days a yr can i legally fish/weather not factored. And realistically what kind of money can be made if one really stays busy?
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Newbie with lots of questions

Post by Once and Future »

I think you're going to have to be more specific to coax answers out of people. Make it easier for the people you are hoping will help you learn. For example, what state or nation are you planning on fishing out of? As far as money - not much profit, I'm sorry to say.

People's desire to live the dream of fishing causes us to be willing to work for less money than we probably should. And the market will not pay more than it has to. You can do some research on the state of Alaska website that will give you some round numbers. If you are not passionate enough to do that kind of research on your own, you are not a good candidate for a commercial fishing career. And that may be the unspoken reason all the old bulls don't appear very helpful.

And, remember the 80/20 rule which holds true in so many endeavors: 20% of the people catch 80% of the fish.
Big ed

Post by Big ed »

Ive done research. What I'm finding out is with a handtroll permit there are so many used for hobby and substanance that the average income is very low. I'm not looking to get rich. This is a bucket list dream and will not be somthing to support my family. I am just hoping it will pay for its self and make enough to move up to safer and nicer gear. I am planning on fishing the se alaska area..
Last edited by Big ed on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big ed

Post by Big ed »

I am from iowa. I lived and worked in Anchorage yrs ago. If all works out ide like to move to the sitka area permanently. Ive found a boat and currently negotiating on a permit. I went to the intent to sell sight and started making calls.
Big ed

Post by Big ed »

Please delete my posts