Do I need a USCG captain's license to fish?

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Monterey

Do I need a USCG captain's license to fish?

Post by Monterey »

What is it good for/required for?

I am brand new to fishing in general.
I bought a 32ft wood troller that I plan on trolling for salmon when the season opens next year or the one after. I would fish in CA in front of SF Bay.
I am in the process of getting a salmon permit transfer, but just in case it doesn't go through I also bought a derelict with a permit. (it will be able to transfer the permit in 18 months).

1) I plan to fish alone. Do I need to be a licensed USCG captain to fish?

2) If I get crew (one or two guys to come with me and help) then if I am their employer and i am the captain, do I need a USCG captain's license?

3) In case I get the other boat fixed and have two boats with permits. If I fish on one and I am the 'owner/master' of the other boat, but I am not in it, and hire crew to fish it for me: a) do I need a USCG captains lices? b) the captain that I hire.. does he need to have a USCG captain's license?

Both boats are USCG documented vessels

Thanks for any response.
longfinner

Re: Do I need a USCG captain's license to fish?

Post by longfinner »

1. You do not need a USCG Captain lic. to fish commercially. You only need a USCG Captain lic. if you hire paying guests ex. six pack or charter boat.
2. You do not need a USCG lic. to hire a crew to fish with you on your boat.
3. You do not need a USCG lic. to hire a captain to run a boat you own but are not present during the fishing activity.
You may need to check your insurance provider for adequate coverage.

Good Luck fishing in front of the Gate (love fishing the Dux's or the Point). I hope those Sac Salmon return.

Jeff...
bent fin

Post by bent fin »

Im not sure about ca. but in alaska you cant owne two of the same permits and have some one else fish it for you . you can own two boats and lease it to some one with a permit to fish it .
Fishmore
Spammer?: No

Post by Fishmore »

Does Gross tonnage of a vessel come into play? I thought there was no six pack requirement just for under 5 gross ton?
akfish
Spammer?: No

Post by akfish »

Only need a license if you transport paying passengers.