Pics from 1970s & 80s. (OR CA WA) Seen the Idle Hour ?

Post photos or movies of trollers, fish, scenery, whatever you've got related to trolling.
sail59115
Spammer?: No

Pics from 1970s & 80s. (OR CA WA) Seen the Idle Hour ?

Post by sail59115 »

A couple of sites of interest:

1. http://www.robtillitz.com A California troller whose book, Bootlegger's Cove, I really enjoyed. I've ordered his second one. He has some good pics and stories on the site.

2. http://www.sarasotasailingsquadron.com/ ... rsPics.htm Rob's book and site inspired me to put up a collection of slides I took in the 70s and 80s. People have been sending me more photos. Additions are happening regularly. (There are getting to be a lot of pictures so it may take a while to load.)

3.Image Idle Hour was my last troller. Picture is in the Siuslaw River, Florence, OR where I sold her in 1985 to a guy who was taking her to Yakutat. Anybody seen her?

-Charlie Clifton
Carol W

Re: Pics from 1970s & 80s. (OR CA WA) Seen the Idle Hour ?

Post by Carol W »

Really Cool everybody check out, thanks for posting.
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

As I recall the Idle Hour left Yakutat on a bank repo not long after she showed up. Havn't seen her around since.
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

Really enjoyed the photos; look forward to more... I heard Aino on the Trio III was out fishing with his dad who died onboard, Aino iced him down and finnished the trip...now that's serious fishing...
floaterII

Post by floaterII »

I met, drank and shot the breeze with Eino Poteri on the Trio III a few times back in the '70s between Eureka and The River-The dad's death story was something I never heard outta him..but, I was a lot more familiar and spent a lot more time with Dickie Merila on the Clara B. and he and Eino were tight friends as kids and Dickie was with them on the trip that the old man folded up on. Dickie and Eino were like 11 or 12 year olds and the three of them were on one of the old time small double enders the canneries kept---anyway, Poteri senior was a big man and suffered an instantly fatal stroke or heart attack at the wheel while tacking off Long Beach. Dickie said the old man was so big and heavy there was no way they were gonna move him anywhere while he was scrunched up in the tiny pilot house-especially after he stiffened-There wasnt anything they could do but take turns leaning over him to steer--they got back in the river and tied up at Union Fish--to get the late Mr. Poteri off the boat somebody cut the back wall of the house out to get him out-he was then lifted off the boat with the fish hoist and hauled off. Certainly one of the most stark and grimly fascinating stories I've heard around the Columbia River and I've heard a lot of'em.
sail59115

Post by sail59115 »

Some research indicates the Idle Hour may have been subjected to a name change.

Could it be possible that the same boat is now named General Israel Putnam?

Anybody know anything on this?