Film on salmon migrating from Alaska to Idaho

Post photos or movies of trollers, fish, scenery, whatever you've got related to trolling.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Film on salmon migrating from Alaska to Idaho

Post by Salty »

Fellow salmon trollers, here is a link to a recently released film documenting the journey from Alaska to Idaho of Chinook salmon. It features "Salty" for a short bit at the beginning. There are some beautiful shots of salmon in the water. The purpose is to help save these salmon.

http://vimeo.com/17098720
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Film on salmon migrating from Alaska to Idaho

Post by SilverT »

OK, that was really well done. It's been out for 2 months and you haven't posted a link until now? I always wanted to climb on board your boat and fish for a day and I suppose that was the next best thing. Very cool seeing traditional fishing on the river & pics of the old runs. I would expect an incredible rebound of the run if what is suggested were to take place. Thanks for sharing!
ironmike
Spammer?: No

Post by ironmike »

That is a great short film Salty. Thanks for posting it.

Hydro electric dams from the early 20th century are death machines, designed in an age when man sought to "conquer" nature's elements rather than "harvest" from them. There are a number of different ways man can harvest energy from flowing waters without having to completely span and block a river's flow. Something as simple as a dam "gate" -- or other designs that allow a portion of the river to flow unobstructed are just some ideas.

http://www.earthtechling.com/2010/10/de ... fish-safe/

A bandaid solution like fish ladders on the Columbia are the equivalent of doing CPR on a dying patient.

We have an opportunity today. Just as the Great Depression and the WPA brought about large scale dam projects across the country as part of that era's "Stimulus" plan-- we should use The Great Recession Stimulus to fix the problems those earlier dams created. It would be good for local economies with engineering and construction contracts; good for the fish; good for the animals who rely on the fish; good for the commercial and sport fishermen...and will also have the long term effect of making healthy wild-caught fish more affordable for the average American, hopefully improving the nation's diet and health.

Don't get me wrong. I tend to be an advocate of small, local governments controlling as much as possible whenever possible-- but when it comes to river systems, that is a national issue. This short film does a beautiful job of demonstrating that.
salmon4u
Spammer?: No

Post by salmon4u »

thanks for posting this link.. great production , I'll share it with people.