troller goes sailing

Post photos or movies of trollers, fish, scenery, whatever you've got related to trolling.
kuiutom

troller goes sailing

Post by kuiutom »

If you have ever wondered what it would be like to just tack off to the west at the end of the fishing season and maybe just keep going for a few thousand miles in your troller, you may find some interest in this old home video footage. In 1990, when the coho closure came, my partner Rochelle and I went back to Port Protection (where I lived), cut the tips of the poles off at the crosstree, and took off for the other side of the Pacific, gurdies, hayrack, and all. We got back to Port Protection a little over two years later. Neither of us had ever sailed before. The boat was the ULLA, now owned by Dave Glazier in Sitka. When built it was called SAILFISHER JUNIOR. The video was recently salvaged from scraps of molding VHS tape. The quality is poor and there are lots of gaps. But if anyone knows the boat or is otherwise interested, the Youtube link is below. It is in 31 parts titled "1990 Voyage of ULLA":

www.youtube.com/user/kuiutom

"Old, unedited home video footage. 33' salmon trolling sloop from Alaska embarks on 2-year cruise around the Pacific, including Hawaii, Phoenix Islands, Marshall Islands, Gilbert Islands, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Solomon Islands, Micronesia, Mariana Islands, Japan, Aleutian Islands. Photographer and First Mate: Rochelle Rollenhagen. Skipper: Tom Jacobson."