Carol W

Post photos or movies of trollers, fish, scenery, whatever you've got related to trolling.
Carol W

Carol W

Post by Carol W »

Here is one of my favorite pictures of the Carol W
file.php.jpg
file.php.jpg (128.88 KiB) Viewed 50888 times
Carol W

Re: Carol W

Post by Carol W »

Here is another
file-1.php.jpg
file-1.php.jpg (123.25 KiB) Viewed 50890 times
Jon
Spammer?: No

Post by Jon »

Very cool boat. It looks like you've got a big focsle (windows!) and a good sized pilot house. Is she 40' long? Where were those pictures taken?
gumpucky

Post by gumpucky »

P1070737.JPG
Last edited by gumpucky on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jon

Post by Jon »

gumpucky wrote:Hope this made it through.It was built by the Foss tug company in 1927

Wow the wood looks like its in perfect shape. Does it have a pit and poles? fishhold???

Where's it at right now and when are you taking it up to AK?
Angie

Post by Angie »

Cool boat! I love the bow and stern lines--looks like you have your work cut out for you to make it trolling ready. Are you doing all of the work yourself?
Angie

Post by Angie »

The Carol W looks very nice-- a classic! :D What year was it built?
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

Carol W was built in 1939 in Astoria at Columbia Boat works
Attachments
file-4.php.jpg
file-4.php.jpg (190.72 KiB) Viewed 50858 times
file-3.php.jpg
file-3.php.jpg (191.84 KiB) Viewed 50830 times
file-2.php.jpg
file-2.php.jpg (183.02 KiB) Viewed 50815 times
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

1939_Carol_W_Astoria_Launching_Matt_Tolonen_sized.jpg
1939_Carol_W_Astoria_Launching_Matt_Tolonen_sized.jpg (63.7 KiB) Viewed 50686 times
1939_Carol_W_Elmer_Smith_Matt_Tolonen_Astoria.jpg
1939_Carol_W_Elmer_Smith_Matt_Tolonen_Astoria.jpg (26.03 KiB) Viewed 50695 times
Tom

Post by Tom »

That is so neat to have a piece of history and she is still doing her job! Nothing disposible there!
gumpucky

Post by gumpucky »

Isn't that archive site wonderful???I found it while googling info on my new boat Victoria.She's in there also,back when she was rigged.I think one of my old boats"Umatilla" might be a sister ship to the Carol W.Same lines and pedigree.Now there was a boat with history.Can't remember the guys name but he bear guided off it around Admiralty.Had some famous clients too.Wrote a couple books that are available at the library in Sitka.
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

Yeah I love that site nice to go through and see the boats I see on the drag and where they have come from, etc. The Carol W is a very sweet sea boat and sometimes that is a problem like this summer one day late in the first King opener I was trolling off the cape it had been a fairly decent day 10 to 15 knots of wind, fishing had been slow. Then about an hour before low slack in the afternoon i pulled a dozen Kings got busy cleaning and singing grooving on my little nibble, I turned around and all of a sudden all I heard was wind through the rigging. I looked up from the cleaning trough there had been 20 to 30 boats now all I saw was waves and rain. I thought that if i kept dragging south soon I would be far enough south that I could point the bow towards Lazaria and be in the trough. I got the gear up and spent 2 hours getting behind the Island what a crappy ride. Later after that trip I heard from another boat it was blowing 40 that afternoon, damn good boat under me. However it would be nice if she would let me know it is getting rough before it is really s&*&y, she does like catching smiley's though.
steelheadhunter

Post by steelheadhunter »

She looks like a great boat, I love the older wood double enders, I was wondering if she was the boat the for sale at dockstreetbrokers.com or if she just had a twin.
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

She is one in the same that is listed at Dockstreet, when I listed her I was seriously considering buying a different boat, I got cold feet and didn't buy the other boat. I haven't canceled the listing figuring if somebody offered me $40,000 cash then I would go look for a diferent boat. I fish mainly alone and she is big enough that I can fish the outside coast but small enough that I can fish alone. She is a very good sea boat andI don't fill her up very often, and with a little work she will last my career so I keep her for sale and if cash comes along,,,,,,
Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

Howdy Hey

Us Tolonen boat folks have to stick together!! I've been watching your boat for a while and am glad you're hanging onto her. I had mine up for sale and got cold feet too. Who knows....maybe the ole Vagabond will go fishing again some day! Folks over here in the Chesapeake Bay don't know what to think of her when they see her that's for sure. Take Care
Sean

I think my Yachtworld listing is still up if you want to see more pictures of the conversion.
Just type in Troller or Tolonen.
Attachments
greatvagabondshot.JPG
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

Hi

I know your boat and have fished around her when she was a troller, I know there are people converting these olod trollers to yaughts,, however when you think about people aren't building these trollers anymore it seems a bit of a shame. Anyway looks nice and hopefully Carol W will look simalar soon, without the house aft.
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by TomD »

These are some really nice looking boats. I like the photos from Carol W early days ! These wooden boats just have a nice classic look to them for sure.