Re: In the Net

Post photos or movies of trollers, fish, scenery, whatever you've got related to trolling.
Ocean Gold

In the Net

Post by Ocean Gold »

Nice set
Attachments
Sitka Herring 043.jpg
(116.69 KiB) Downloaded 1149 times
Jon
Spammer?: No

Post by Jon »

Wow! That's crazy.
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

I've got a few questions about this pic. How many tons is it? how much was it worth? How long did it take to pump them all out? Did that 1 packer haul it all? last but not least, they must soil themselves when they see an orca fin, or a sealion huh? I suppose you'd have REAL problems if that whole school desided to sound.
biorka

Post by biorka »

From what I have heard around town (Sitka) that was a record set of 1500 tons! Some where around $700,000.00 worth of herring in one set!
Barry
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

An amazing herring opening here this week that will no doubt become the subject of many stories and legends over the years. I have not heard the full details yet but the word on the dock is that the fleet of 50 seiners caught 10,000 tons in the afternoon opening. That some of the sets exceeded 1,000 tons with rumors of a set in the 1500 ton category.
Price is $550 per ton plus fifty for each point above 10%. The herring were huge, 200 gram, for Sitka and most of the sets were in the 12-13% range. Thus these fish were worth up to $700 per ton. They were still holding herring in the Shoals Pt. area today, two days after the opening, waiting for tenders to arrive. I guess the really big sets were in 4-10 fathoms of water.
King salmon trolling is still very slow with a lot of skunks or one fish. Three guys were at the house to watch basketball. Their total for three days of fishing was three fish, not three apiece. Pretty tough scratch.
Fury

Post by Fury »

that photo is one 0f the 1200 ton sets i was on the afognak as deckhand and pumped fish from the seiner infinite glory set wich ended up at 1525 tons inside shoals pt. 3 fath took 3 days and many tenders to pump
Bill M

Post by Bill M »

I just head about this from a couple friends on the Janine Kathleen here in Ketchikan and wasn't buying it until I saw that pic.
two meter troll

Post by two meter troll »

IIRC the Belair made one of the largest sets ever, the lowest paid hand made over 100.000.
i was on the Hallo bay and still have a pic of that old tender deck loaded till the scuppers where under.