Skiff trolling

Post photos or movies of trollers, fish, scenery, whatever you've got related to trolling.
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Skiff trolling

Post by yak2you2 »

My oldest daughter Hailley and I trolling cohos out of my skiff. Aug. 2002

Issuing the spotter pilot his crewshare.

Gillnetting cohos out of the multi purpose skiff. Sept. 2002
Tom

Re: Skiff trolling

Post by Tom »

I like your multi purpose rig! Do you still gillnet some? I want to gillnet next year out of a small boat will try to post a picture of it , was wondering how many shackels of gear did you fish and how much would your skiff hold safly? My rig is a 25' East coast lobster type that I want to configure for gillnetting. Actually would be much simpler to hand troll but I live here in Homer so am a fair piece from your country. Any how I always enjoy your posts as well as this forum so thanks!

Tom
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

I still gillnet alot in the summer, just depends on which looks like the better bet for the day. My skiff is 22' ft. fiberglass, Real wide, and flat bottomed. It's pictured here with a 130 hp honda 4 stroke, but i've recently repowered with a 90 Hp yamaha 2 stoke, which provides about the same power for about half the weight. Does about 30 knots. It can pack 3000 lbs. in the river, which is were this picture was taken. We're setnetters here, but there are no sites, the whole district is all open. Net lengths vary depending upon where your at. In the bay 75 fathoms, in the river where this pic was taken 20 fathoms.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Thanks for the info, I am looking into a permit for Prince William Sound, I really like my boat although it is probably a little on the small side they fish 150 fathom nets that are 60 meshes deep so I am trying to figure out if it's possible to turn my boat into a mini gillnetter. Don't know if I could stack all that net on the deck or not, was thinking of building a fishhold with a reel incorperated into it that would fit into the cock pit which is 6' long by 7' wide If you don't mind me asking where do you do your fishing? I have never heard of setnet area with no sites (If you don't want to say you won't hurt my feelings) Do you anchor your net or drift? And do you stack your 75 fathom net in the boat at the end of the day or is it mostly in the water? Sorry hope these are not stupid questions, any how hope you have had a good summer.
Thanks, Tom
Tom

Post by Tom »

Here is a cockpit picture, sorry I have a charter sticker am trying to remedy that.
Attachments
cockpit.jpg
Tom

Post by Tom »

Here is picture of the boat in Maine a few years ago.
Attachments
Kennibunk Maine.jpg
Tom

Post by Tom »

Would this be a smily?
Attachments
Dan & Tom.jpg
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

I'm in Yakutat. The nets have to be anchored at both ends here. I'll pull my whole 75 Fm net, anchors and line into the bow of my skiff at the end of an opener. Nice looking boat you have there, looks like it would be a perfect little hand troller,not sure how well it would work as a gillnetter though. 150 fms. is a pile of net, then there's the fish. Where there's a will there's a way though, good luck!
pr35

Post by pr35 »

Tom wrote:Here is picture of the boat in Maine a few years ago.
Tom,
is that a Seaworthy Piscataqua?
Tom

Post by Tom »

yes it is, I have had the boat about five years now.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Thanks for the info, I have to agree with you she would make a better handtroller than a gillnetter so we will see what happens, I do appreciate your thoughts on it though.
Tom

Post by Tom »

I have to agree with you she would make a better handtroller than gillnetter I appreciate your thoughts on it though I could use all the help I can get :)
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

Well, looks to me like you've got the catching fish part of it figured out. all you need is a permit and some gear. The trolling line is cape Suckling, which is a place that has intrigued me for a long time. If you look at the charts, there's some really interesting looking stuff around there. So far removed that it rarely ever gets trolled to the degree that everywhere else has. 2/3's of the way from me, 1/3 from you, and alot of your run is in protected waters, I'd have to face a wicked long open run. All of that country would be fun to explore besides trolling it. Kayak island, capes St. Elias. Some day I'm going to buy me a big live aboard, and i might just go spend a summer up there. Glass ball hunting, Razor clam digging, or maybe just enjoying the solitude of being a hundred miles from anybody. What has you boat got in it? little diesel? What kind of range do you get? My plan for little boating it was always to line up a beach pilot to fly fish out for me if i ever found the glory hole. I've ran skiffs to the Tsiu river for coho.It's about 30 miles from the cape, and the closest i have ever gotten, not counting Alaska Airlines.
pr35

Post by pr35 »

Tom wrote:yes it is, I have had the boat about five years now.
that's a nice little spencer lincoln design... happy trolling.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Beach combing and fried razor clams sounds perfect to me! I go to Bristol Bay once in a while for herring which is mostly a beach combing trip so I already have the glass ball illness. The boat has a Steyr Diesel I would rather have a deere or cummins but thats what it had and so far no complaints except that the closest dealer is in Oregon for parts. That country sounds real interesting I have to scoure a chart and take a look at it. Maybe hitch a ride on the ferry and increase my range. The steyr burns 4 gallons and hour at 15 knots and I hold about 70 gallons of fuel I am not really sure what kind of range I would get 150-180? I need to test it out at diffirent speeds to see what optimum would be. And by the way Ebay glass ball hunting is second to being on the beach.
Tom

Post by Tom »

I would like to talk to Spencer Linclon he designed quite a few downeast types, I wish I could make it grow about three feet although I am sure I could be happy camper with some trolling gear:)
Tom

Post by Tom »

Oh, I forgot to mention, it only looks like I got the catching part figured out, dang things confuse me most of the time :|