What kind of salmon is this?

Post photos or movies of trollers, fish, scenery, whatever you've got related to trolling.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What kind of salmon is this?

Post by Salty »

IMG_7072.JPG
(170.98 KiB) Downloaded 1466 times
I caught two of these the other day and have caught numerous ones over the years. Does any one recognize this unusual SE salmon?
whiteraven
Spammer?: No

Re: What kind of salmon is this?

Post by whiteraven »

Farmed Atlantic? I understand they get out. Intentialy or unintentialy,who knows.
whiteraven

Post by whiteraven »

Actualy I should have asked "is this a test"?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

No, this is not an Atlantic Salmon. It is a wild fish. Guess again. Yes, this is a salmon identification test from an experienced salmon grader. (PFI 1968)
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

This is a chumpie.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Right on Tom! Chumpies are a mix of a chum and humpie.

I hear you are or were in Sitka. I have not seen your rebuilt boat on the drag yet though.
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

Chumpie, Never heard of those before, must not be very common. certainly has the pupil of a chum, and the tiger stripe. But the big question is,,,, how does it taste with Mayonnaise?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

The one chumpie I ate was a delightful combination of the dry light taste of a chum with the sweet juiciness of a pink.
Journey
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Journey »

Pinks and chums were intentionally inter-bred at SJ a few years ago (brood year 2006, I believe) for a senior project. Maybe we'll see more of them in the future? What I'd really like to know is what you get per pound for them... that could be a fun and interesting negotiation. :)
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Great question Journey which on this day of Ralph's funeral leads to an interesting story which in respect to Ralph I will repeat even though it does not involve him.

About 10 years ago when I was trolling round pinks off of Cape Edgecumbe for brite bled market Sitka Sound Seafoods had I caught a nice chumpy one day. We set it aside and when we delivered I pointed it out. I believe the brite chum price was 70 cents per lb. that summer and the pink price was about half that. The grader and the people at the weigh station at Sitka Sound insisted that it go in the pink tote over my protest. All in fun as it was only about five pounds which amounted to less than $2.00 out of a load of over 6,000 lbs. of mostly pinks.
The next day we caught another chumpy. This beautiful fish was all of 7 pounds round. We set it aside again and when we delivered I insisted that I get brite chum price for it. All agreed and I felt I ended up with the better end of the stick as I got brite chum price on the larger fish.
If these fish were in good abundance I believe they would command a premium price as they are usually a bit larger than pinks, the flesh is a bit drier and firmer than pink but still juicier than most chum.