Chum pics

Post photos or movies of trollers, fish, scenery, whatever you've got related to trolling.
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chum pics

Post by SilverT »

These were a couple of pics we took while the boys fished chum on a sunny day.
Attachments
073.JPG
(63.56 KiB) Downloaded 607 times
072.JPG
(56.32 KiB) Downloaded 532 times
069.JPG
(72.5 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Chum pics

Post by Salty »

Flasher and Chum reflections.jpg
Flasher and Chum reflections.jpg (33.9 KiB) Viewed 41610 times
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Nice pictures, what is with that big pink hootchie? Chums actually bite hootchies? Motivates me to post some of my chum pics.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Silver Brite.jpg
(174.75 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

M 85 and Chum.jpg
M 85 and Chum.jpg (46.72 KiB) Viewed 41609 times
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by SilverT »

Wow! Those are nice pictures. Thanks, Salty. I am curious as to how you post the picture without the requirement that the viewer click on a link to download. It would be nice if they would show up automatically as your photos appear.

Regarding the pink hootchie, it was a concession to a curious trio of boys frequenting the back deck. I remember asking my dad if I could change the lures on our main lines when I was about 12 years of age. In those days we had a hand line out the back and that was my designated "changeable" line (this should be legal for every boat with kids onboard ;) ). When I asked him over and over if I could change some of the lures that were working the deeper water he always exclaimed "Don't change what's workin'!" Knowing that I was going to have a royal battle on my hands with three boys, ages 12, 10 and 9 pestering me, I decided early on that the boys would be allowed an occasional lure swap. This is not without some protest on my part, depending on the lure's appeal or lack thereof to my so imagined trained eye. On this day, the pink hootchie, complete with removed legs, earned quite a protest from the captain. It was, however, ultimately submerged and the result captured on film by the boys. I believe the fish shown was one of perhaps 3 that the hootchie caught that day and I do not recommend it as a producing lure.

I have noticed that the most documented experiences on our boat are those that involve some success on the part of the crew or failure on the part of the caption. Lures that the skipper thought would never catch a fish always seem to show up in my photograph collection hanging out of the mouth of large salmon. Enormous kelp islands wrapped around the stabilizers and trailing behind the boat are another frequently documented experience. The single close up picture of me this year appears to have captured me at a slightly irritated moment. There must be something to this....

On the bright side, allowing the crew to change out and modify the lures produced some unexpected successful results. Any money I lost by allowing occassional changes was made up for by peace on the vessel and the discovery of a very successful chum lure that the captain would have NEVER tried.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Jon would know the answer to the question about the pictures better than I but here is what I noticed. When I resized the pictures down to the 640 pixel range and then reloaded them they show up as a picture instead of a link. At 800 pixels and above they show up as a link.
Attachments
Chum Hues.jpg
Chum Hues.jpg (134.15 KiB) Viewed 41593 times
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

On dealing with problems, here is one and another to follow
Attachments
Russell deals with huge tangle.jpg
Russell deals with huge tangle.jpg (121.98 KiB) Viewed 41602 times
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Here is another one!
Attachments
leader and hooks, tangled.jpg
leader and hooks, tangled.jpg (106.55 KiB) Viewed 41575 times
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by SilverT »

Thanks! Those are great and I'm sure they bring back some memories. I'll try the reduced picture size and see if that makes a difference.
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

Chumkiller
Chumkiller
640 resize.jpg (10.93 KiB) Viewed 41475 times
Lol. Just testing my upload to see what happens...........
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Is that a picture of the extremely rare Chorca?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Silver Brite.jpg
(174.75 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Brite Chum 2008.jpg
Brite Chum 2008.jpg (173.36 KiB) Viewed 41076 times
I just tested my system again. If I don't resize them then you have to click to see them.
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by SilverT »

Salty, that's a nice looking chum! Makes me hungry. Thanks also for the feedback on the picture size.

The kids and I had a great time together, particularly on days like this. Clear water made it twice as much fun, as we could see a few fish down the wire.
Attachments
Clear water chumming - We could see 3 fish down.
Clear water chumming - We could see 3 fish down.
100.JPG (108.06 KiB) Viewed 40941 times
2 of my best buddies
2 of my best buddies
099.jpg (88.97 KiB) Viewed 40928 times
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

How old are your boys? We had some great years starting when Kris was about 12. When he was 19 he went seining but after about 10 years of that he has been coming back. Karl fished full time until he was about 19 and then he wandered off to Bristol Bay and seining for a couple of years. Better get a boat that can handle the production those guys will be making. I just deleted a whole paragraph about handling high production but will just pass on this tip. Move on from counting every fish, except perhaps Kings. It will save a lot of energy trying to keep track of all those fish those two will be hauling. Just count bags or note the pounds. Better for all in many ways.
I remember one time one of my sons coming in frustrated because his brother was ahead on "his side". He claimed it wasn't fair because his brother had the port side and I was turning port more often and the fish bit better when you turned into them. Probably an astute observation but I pointed out that they got paid the same no matter who pulled the most therefore he was actually making more per fish he pulled than his brother. Seemed to work for a while anyway.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Chumunga!.jpg
Careful, they could get hooked on that chumming and turn out like this.
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by SilverT »

Salty,

I hope they turn out just like that, with sweatshirts and huge fish to match. If we ever get past counting fish and into counting bags, I'm sure we will be as happy as he appears. I must admit I cracked up the first time I read about the bag counting method. We have a ways to go with our catching and some equipment upgrades to make before we get a break with our math. If you save all your deleted paragraphs for us we just might get there a little quicker ;)

The boys are 13, 11 and 9 and our girls are 7 and 5. We had a great time learning together and hope to do it again. Our thanks to everyone who took the time to share what they would.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Icy Strait Chum, 2011.jpg
Icy Strait Chum, 2011.jpg (35.3 KiB) Viewed 38297 times
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Post by Abundance »

You know, a guy really should get really good money for such beautiful fish. There is nothing wrong with a chums meat when there so bright. I personally prefer them to a coho. But we get paid exactly the same for that shiny creature as we do the less than bright ones, such as this example. (Although ones such as this are more fun to catch).
Attachments
IMAG0230.jpg
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance