The Old Salt and the Old Girl

Post your adventures, anecdotes, amusing, funny, or scary stories here.
ericv
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Old Salt and the Old Girl

Post by ericv »

The figure of a man was stooped, bent over hard from the arthritis that ravaged his back, aggravated from decades of cold sea air and disc crushing labor from working the trade he loved; commercial salmon trolling. His frame had shrunk over time, his skin tougher than the leather break straps that had secured his leads to the wire. Then there were his hands; hands the size of baseball mitts that once denoted his true size as a younger man. Scarred deep, decades of grease, oil and gurry embedded deep in every crease, calluses so thick a hot pad was just a waste of a rag. Hanging at his side they were huge, stump like fingers curled into a permanent semi-grip from years of working the gaff and gear.
The journey from his home to the dock was painstakingly slow, every task took time and great effort, not to mention pain. He'd manage to get his old rig fired up and drive the short distance to the harbor without citation or mishap. Even if there was, the local police who knew him would look the other way just out of respect.
He knew the tides from memory, tried his best to time his arrival to the dock ramp on the higher end, not always able to do so because of one overriding desire and need. It was the need to connect to something so very connected to him for so many years, his faithful troller. She was the very last of her breed for she sported a mast stepped on the forepeak to stow the bow poles, replete with a beautiful mermaid gazing outward, her bare breasts giving a wonderful hint of the other joy in life. A stout double ender she was, most assuredly built by his Norwegian brethren, she had been under his guiding hand for many, many decades. Her glory days were done, her many coats of paint unable to hide the ravages of time and severe weather. She was a true museum piece, every aspect about her was from an era long gone, replaced by high tech and plastic.
The trip down the ramp to her was perilously slow, for he knew a single fall would be the end of life as he knew, shattered hip; the death knell of the elder. With cane in hand, he shuffled ever so slowly down the dock, each step reaching out slightly longer than the romeo's on his feet. Ben Davis pants with twisted suspenders, old woolen shirt under an even older woolen jacket topped off with a weatherworn and crusted old cap, the logo long covered by the gurry of maritime labor.
She was berthed at the very end of the pier, probably for ease of docking during the sunset days of his fishing career, her slip to herself with a few angled planks to ease the access to her forward sides. This was his destination. Despite the time, energy and pain, he would make his way to her side. With a stop he'd slowly raise his head from the binding arthritis and gaze at her from stem to stern, slowly letting his squinted eyes look her over, inspecting every line and rigging. His eyes told him if the bilge pumps had been working or not just by looking at the scud line along her hull.
The last peril was the set of steps to gain her side, even with rail and cane, one slip and it would be over. He'd negotiate this challenge with the same tenacity of his fishing days, his tranny however, was forever locked in low, low, and in time, he was back on her deck. Though his body could no longer do what his mind wanted, it was here that he felt at his best. Each gouge and scratch on her had a story of which he was the author and historian, they were one together; Old Salt and the Old Girl. His roughened hands would check her over, his eyes taking in her every part both inside and out. Later, at some point, it was time to go, maybe the tide was ebbing and the ramp steepening. He'd leave his faithful old girl with a careful but deliberate pat on her bullworks and begin the arduous, slow, painful return trip home.
His trips became less frequent. When they occurred it was both sad, yet inspiring to see him work his way back to her side, the round trip taking an incredible amount of time, pain and energy, but he did it rain or shine. He no longer could gain her side but he replaced that with even more long and careful gazing with his eyes, checking visually everything he could.
Winter fell upon Sitka and the snow piled deep. A fellow troll fisherman noticed she was laboring under her heavy snow blanket, so with ice shovel, broom and rubber dust pan in hand he ventured to her side. His only connection to the elder fisherman was that his troller had come with a set of gurdies that once had belonged to him, enough of an ice breaker for him to chat with the man one day when he was visiting his old girl. The fisherman knew much about this old timer by his highline history and the stories he heard from others. The respect he had for him was profound. With that in mind, he felt it was okay to climb aboard the old girl that day to shed her snow. It was one way to help someone who had done much to help others. Over a period of time, she was carefully freed from her winter burden. The fisherman made sure nothing was amiss or disturbed, carefully checked her lines and headed back to clear his own troller of the same.
News came down that the old timer had injured himself, unable to leave the house anymore. Not long after, word hit the docks that he had died. He was one of the last of an era that is now only in the history books, one that had taught many the trade. The fisherman, who's own troller was nearby the old girl, would swear by God that the old faithful double ender was in mourning by her owners passing over the bar. There she sat, her own life nearing an end. Not long afterwards there was an ad in the local paper; boat and permit for sale. The price was just a bit more than the permit value. It was a time that the fisherman had wished he was flush in cash, for he wanted to buy her for the sole purpose of restoration in their memory. She truly was the last of that era and what a beautiful piece of maritime fishing history she would be. Alas, it would not come to pass for the fisherman, like many, had family to feed and a mortgage to pay.
Her end came swiftly. Stripped of her useful materials she was rendered to a pile of splintered wood in mere minutes by means of modern excavator; chunks and pieces of her frames, planks and deck haphazardly dispensed into an awaiting battered dump truck. Whether either man running their respective piece of machinery knew of her history or even cared, one will never know.
The Old Salt and his Old Girl are gone, yet their memories fill many minds and tales. It is a story of one single man and it is a story we see repeated from coast to coast. There is a connection between an old time fisher and their boat in many ways tighter than the connection they have with a partner or spouse, a symbiotic relationship that only a chosen few can truly understand. Somewhere they are back together again. He, loading her hold and she, jauntily trolling along, together, in perfect peace and harmony. I do wonder what happened to the mermaid though....................................

Eric Van Cise F/V New Hope Sitka, Alaska
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: The Old Salt and the Old Girl

Post by yak2you2 »

Nice story. Are you the snow shoveler?
ericv
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ericv »

I was the fortunate one to be the snow shoveler. I will never remotely be in the same league as the Old Timer, but am glad to have known him in the simple context that I did.
warped
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by warped »

Thanks for the well written story/memory...
bigjoe

Post by bigjoe »

Wish I had your writing skills,I knew someone like that he basically is the one that got me to go fishing.
gumpucky

Post by gumpucky »

Wow,you sure nailed it in that short.There's few left of those guys so treat em right when you get the chance.The ones that were instrumental in my going this route are gone and I haven't quite been able to find that quality since.Sad.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Great writing, great story. Appreciate this forum so much for providing the fertile ground for these to spring forth.
I am really struggling with how to share something. I guess I will just say I actually knew the man. I worked on my poles next to his boat before I helped get the present pole dock built. I visited with many of his peers over the years while he was still fishing.
It is amazing to me how the most unlikely fisherman can become a romanticized symbol. And how the years can temper the most callused among us. How our relationship with our boat can define us even after we are gone in ways we never could have imagined. And how, even after we are gone, our story for better or worse, might be colored by even the most fleeting encounter.
ericv
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ericv »

Well said Salty. My encounters with the Old Timer were just a few dockside snapshots of a very long lifetime movie of which I did not get to see, most specially on the grounds. In my opinion I suspect he lived as long as he did out of means of tenacity and sheer orneriness at times. I recall a brief chat one day, don't remember the topic, what ever it was suddenly lit an intense inferno in his eyes and voice. I do not have virginal ears from years of working in the woods and water but I must say his power of colorful vocabulary and description of certain body parts was stout enough to have obliterated the rust scales off the worst iron hulk. This came as no surprise. I also knew not to ask him if he needed help up the ramp for he probably would have javelined my ass clear to the Cape. There was a time or two when he did ask for a hand with a simple task, always followed by a gruff yet sincere "thanks". The berth for our troller afforded a clear view of the parking area, ramp and dock for which he traveled including a clear shot of his troller. The story contents come from the occasions while I would be working on some task and would see him on his quest. I'd glance up now and then just to see if he was still on course, hadn't fallen or slipped into the water. The best mental snapshot I have is looking up to see him departing his old girl and him giving her that pat on her bullworks. Despite a hardened exterior and roughed out interior, he still had a piece of his heart on the right frequency.