Ghost fish

Post your adventures, anecdotes, amusing, funny, or scary stories here.
two meter troll

Ghost fish

Post by two meter troll »

I came home from the navy just before Swartzecoff make land fall for the first gulf war. those of us that where in theater for the seven months prior to this event got to do the dirty work with no recognition and our discharges went "dont let the door hitcha where the good lord split ya". so at twenty i came home and went looking for work and a way to keep my mind off the crap i went through. i tried machining and found i didnt like it and the folks i worked with didnt like me, wildfire fighting same deal. choker setter i was to intense for the crew. Finally i got back on a boat leasing the Terry L out of Charlston oregon.
at the same time my grandfather had had several nasty strokes and was in a home in Roseburg. I would go visit on the weekend or when the weather was to bad to fish. grandpa would smile his demented smile and do pull ups on my arm (this man was 6'3" and 200 lbs in his youth and faded to bone waight at this time) saying my name like a mantra. I was the only person he could recall all the time.
It was friday and the weather was really nice with a long slick swell rolling easy to the south. the fish had been off since about 0900 and i was pretty much just enjoying fishing all by myself on the 80 fathom line. when the spring on my port side deeps went crazy. no lazy stretch and no light bumping, full jerking quick pulls one after the other.
I figured i was bouncing so i jumped into the gaffing hatch figuring on yarding in about 10 fathoms or so of wire. the spring kept jerking so i ran my gear on the end of the second spread was a 30lb king that came into the boat like it was trained.
My grand father died that day at 1030 and i cought that beutiful fish at 1031, the only fish of the day and it payed just enough to get me fuel for the boat and fuel to go over the hill to Roseburg.
figured grandpa wanted his grandson at the funeral and it took him all of one minute to find me.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Ghost fish

Post by Salty »

What a great story. Thank you for sharing.