Best day fishing

Post your adventures, anecdotes, amusing, funny, or scary stories here.
two meter troll

Best day fishing

Post by two meter troll »

I was told by my dad that the only way to keep sealions off your lines was to keep them clean.
I was told by various folks that you can catch fish when the Orca are fishing.
one of these things is fact and the other fiction.
this tale is about the factual one.

Around here the fleet runs the thirty fathom line day in and day out packed like herring in a good set.
the radio buzzes with snide comments, complaints, rants and a large amount of simple bitching to hear the wind blow.
I like to fish alone. I like to fish deep.
This day i decided that for my first tack I would fish with the fleet keep my radio on and make some conversation.
I was talking to Wrongway and Fatman about blackbox settings for fishing junk when folks up the line started bitching about the fish being wild and an orca pod moving through.
We didn't pay it much heed and kept up our conversation. FatMan gets on and says the bloody sea lions are cleaning his lines.
this is odd cause he never has had a sea lion problem.

*troll.. How do you know Fatman?

*fatman.. my boat is surrounded by sealions.

*Wrong way.. do you see this?

coming to the end of my tack and my want of company i head out to the 80 line.

*troll.. ya looks like fat man and you are in the midst of a migration all of those fellas seem to be heading for the rock.

*fatman.. pisses me off to loose fish to those damn things.

*Wrong way... your springs haven't jumped in an hour Fatman nor have mine. if we had fish on its our fault the lines got cleaned.

* fat man.. well i keep bringing up blanks. but you are right wrongway its been dead today.

*troll.. well folks i am heading out to the 80, sounds to me like the orca pod is heading this way.

*fatman... that explains the sealion herd heading for the rock and the lack of fish.

* wrong way... im going to try out off the cape. maybe do the lunch tack into Bandon.

*fatman... ahh im just going up hill and see what I can get.

well Fat man ran into the Orca pod first and didn't catch a thing for most of the day. he however did keep us informed of where the pod was. by this time most of the fleet was pissing and moaning about not catching any thing and the orca ruining the day. Wrong way went the wrong way and got into a nice patch of fish like normal and i was out on the 80 picking up about one splitter an hour.

*fat man... well those Orca are heading off you way Troll.

*wrongway... might as well bring your gear in you ain't going to catch anything.

*troll... well i'll waite a bit till i see the pod then bring it up see you for dinner.

I kept my gear in and the number of fish per hour started going up. soon i was running both sides as fast as i could.
getting behind on a bite is a feeling i hate, i brought in my bags and kept my deeps and mids. it was none stop pulling. i noticed the orca pod all around me. my springs jumping and lines running. and i was in the midst of the impossible; the orca where feeding and i was throwing fish over both shoulders. after an eternity the Orca moved off and the bite i was in slacked. the Terry L was full of fish the deck was covered the slush boxes full. i had fish in the gaffing hatch.

about the time i finished getting all the fish stowed with ice and burlap the dinner tack was on so headed for the buyer.

*fatman... got a couple splitters and a couple medium for the day. how was you day Wrong way?

*Wrongway... Oh i got a hand full or so not as many as i would like.

*fat man.... howed you do Troll?

*Troll.... couple hand fulls of splitters. you two want to come to dinner with me tonight? my treat!

when we got to the dock, Fatman indeed had a couple splitters and a hand full of mediums. Wrongway as usual had about 50 fish for the day. I came in with enough buy dinner........ for about three months.

just goes to show ya you need to keep your lines clean or the seal lions will clean them for you.
two meter troll

Re: Best day fishing

Post by two meter troll »

2MT's wife reading...
'Pears one of the two lines at the top was missing a couple letters:

"I was told by various people you can't catch fish where the orca are fishing."

Makes a little more sense to me that way, though I suppose you old hands will have gotten it without the help.