Forum Spambots

News & changes to the site. Give your feedback or ask questions about the site here.
tacorajim
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Forum Spambots

Post by tacorajim »

Since 4/11/09 there's been about 60 new members of questionable interest to this site. Like some foreign invasion by someone(s) with little or nothing to contribute to this great niche forum.

Earlier I bragged about the acceleration of new members this year. Valid praise methinks ... but then all hell broke loose and we have 2-3 pages of . . . what . . . forum spambots across the globe listed as new members.

Can we take this site back?
Jon
Spammer?: No

Re: Forum Spambots

Post by Jon »

phpbb's captcha was cracked recently by spammers. I deleted about 100 spambot users and made some changes to the registration process that should stop the spam bots.

Thanks,
Jon
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mydona »

Jon Thanks so much for cleaning this up .. again. I almost got a hold of you yestrdy for a request. I was thinking that Dale (ATA) may like to also act as a administrator? The new ATA page has a link to here for post and announcements. I had even gone as far as Google'n Frank-n-ass. He had been spammin everywhere. Several were related to fishing and 1I explored seemed to be from around the HI. Islands. Again.. Thank you, Al
Jon

Post by Jon »

If you see spam, or other inappropriate posts, please use the 'Report Post' icon above the post and it will get dealt with right away.

The icon looks like this:

Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

My computer/internet skills seem to be diminishing, so it's probably just me; but I can't find that icon above the posts. Off Topic Discussion is full of kitchen ads I was going to report.
Jon

Post by Jon »

The icons will only show up if you are logged in. Is that the problem?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Found the spam posts in Off Topic Discussion... I left one for you to test out the Reporting on :)
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

Yes, logging in made the icon appear. Thanks.