Commercial Salmon Trolling Forum

Accepting Donations (aka Tips from Salty)

News & changes to the site. Give your feedback or ask questions about the site here.

Re: Accepting Donations

Postby Akdream » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:27 pm

Salty, I just came across this area on this fine forum and posted a donation right away. once i noticed that most of the donation were awhile back not sure if you are still providing tips. As a very new member to this Forum and a true green horn to Salmon Trolling what ever tip you can give a guy just starting out would be Greatly appreciate. I moved up from Florida a couple of years ago and it has been a dream of mine to live and fish SE Alaska.

thanks for all your post I am have a blast reading them!
Akdream
Akdream

Postby Salty » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:29 pm

The last guy sent me a private message detailing what he really wanted to know and I shared some additional intel with him that if he is lucky might help more than hurt.

In general there is a lot of information here from a lot of people who are probably better fishermen than I am. There is a whole thread on getting started for example. Another on polishing spoons. Our chum trollers association posted our guidelines for handling, slushing, and delivering high quality round chums. A lot of that applies also to dressed salmon.

Here is a generic tip. Try to avoid joining a circle of trollers on a drag. Go find and create your own drag. With the exception of a couple of days dragging the winter surf line at Cape Edgecumbe, and the Neets Bay line for chums which aren't really circles, I managed to fish the whole season last year without joining a circle drag. The fishery is just too wonderful and the region too beautiful to ruin the experience by paddling around in a circle or otherwise following someone else.

My view is that when you buy a troll permit you are saying with your investment that you think you are one of the best hook and line fishermen in the world. That you are smart and bold enough to find your own fish.

Now that I have said that I am going to say something that may seem incongruous. Find a few guys to communicate with and then be the best partner in the world about sharing intel, standing by to help, and developing a cooperative rather than a competitive relationship. I have a couple of partners I go back 30 years with. You can not really be a top producer in this business as a "lone wolf". It is a business that depends on dependable communication and unimpeachable partners.

Finally, your trolling business depends on help from the people you work with, from the person running the hoist, to the graders and ice man, to the diesel mechanic and electronics technician. Treat them with an attitude of gratitude that they are there for you. While I cultivate business relationships over thousands of miles, I do the vast bulk of my purchases locally. For example: before you buy a piece of electronics, ask the local guy you expect to help you install or service it what he recommends.

Not that I have always lived up to this advice as well as I would have liked, but after a lifetime in the fishery and hearing genuine highliners tell their stories I am cognizant of the importance of all the above. Good luck.

After re-reading this I felt I should add this. The most important people in your operation are the people you take on the boat with you. Select them carefully and nurture your working relationship by emphasizing safety, communication, and humor. And pay them well. It can be a tough business living on a small boat working long hours in tough Alaskan weather. I was blessed in that most of my crew have either been family or close friends. Here are two of the best.
IMG_7521.JPG
Marilyn and Sarah Jordan
IMG_7521.JPG (119.47 KiB) Viewed 7153 times
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Akdream » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:34 am

Salty,

Wow! this is the Great sound advice. I shared this with my deckhand this morning and he just smiled. He also mentioned that he believes that your family wrote a book call the Alaska Dream that awesome because this it truly my dream also. I call Murry's here in Ketchikan and they have the book. I can't wait to get my hands on it. As far as the last guy that sent you a private message to receive additional intel. You have given me more intel than I expected alone with this Forum. I will work hard to build strong relationship and give back what I can to this fine fishery.
Lori T is the name of my boat, maybe if you see me out fishing call me up I would like to meet you.

thanks again,
tight lines
Akdream
Akdream

Re: Accepting Donations (aka Tips from Salty)

Postby birdfeeder11 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:12 pm

They are not called superiors because they are inferior.
birdfeeder11

Postby Salty » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:41 pm

Tips for donations re-activated. I have a picture of a chum with one of my top bugs in its mouth, that got there when it bit KJ, that I will post or not post depending on what the next donator wants.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby JYDPDX » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:49 pm

How did you get that The Sea Captain logo?
JYDPDX

Postby Salty » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:11 am

Not fishy enough for the salmon.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mydona » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:16 am

You get the fish badge when you still need to catch one more fish before the end of the day. LOL almost a low liner if...
Ya get the winky Capt. logo when ya know something others want to know and ya haven't yet spilled the beans.
The truth is Donate and you too can have a logo
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Salty » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:03 pm

Passed on a favor for a donation. Private message route. Lots left in that bag.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mattakfish » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:11 am

This site has been a wealth of info for me and very encouraging. So,I hit the donate button this weekend.....I can only afford $20 right now but after I catch my first power-troll, winter king, I'll kick in again!
Matt on the F/V Aurora
mattakfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Salty » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:35 am

Merry Christmas all,
So one year I wandered out the day after Christmas to check out a new lure. Ended up finding a few that lasted through new years day. Went fishing instead of watching the bowl games, and I am a college football fan. Here is the tip: Make sure you have ordered all your licenses, permits, etc. so when your buddy finds the fish, you get an urge, or you notice winter troller activity you can go the next morning.
Still giving tips for donations. If you want a secret tip I will PM.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Journey » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:57 pm

Thanks for everything this site has done this year!

My second donation is in the mail.

Happy Holidays,

Laura
Laura
Journey
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Salty » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:44 pm

Laura,
Tip of the week. For you young fishermen( < 100 years fishing) now would be a good time to sign up and arrange travel to this years summit. Great learning, networking, and fun.

http://seagrant.uaf.edu/map/workshops/2013/ayfs/
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Previous

Return to Site News & Suggestions