Commercial Salmon Trolling Forum

Accepting Donations (aka Tips from Salty)

News & changes to the site. Give your feedback or ask questions about the site here.

Accepting Donations (aka Tips from Salty)

Postby Jon » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:32 pm

Time is money, or so they say...

I have temporarily gotten out of fishing to be a land lubber, and care for my wife and new baby girl, Lucy. The downside is there are bills to pay, and no fish to pay them with. So, I am now accepting donations to support the costs and time involved in running this forum.

You'll notice a shiny new Donate button at the top of each page. Feel free to use it!

Sincere Thanks,
Jon
If you enjoy the Salmon Trolling Forum, please Image Your support keeps this site alive. Thanks!
Jon

Re: Accepting Donations

Postby yak2you2 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:44 am

I'm really glad you set up a spot for us to donate Jon, this site has been a wonderful tool for trollers to talk to each other, and I for one have been waiting for a chance to help out. I imagine with it being January, and that following a year of lower than what they should have been prices, funds might start out coming in a little slow, but I'm sure that most of us who frequent this site have the best intentions to donate. In my case, I'm following up on major family medical bills myself, and have nothing but promises to offer at the moment, but donate I will in do time. Unless I've missed my guess, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how full the coffers will become when the fish show. I really appreciate all that you've done for us here, and continue to do, keep up the good work!
Now it's up to the rest of us to keep the pages full of fishy tales, so that you can live vicariously through us, whilst your temporarily domestically sequestered.
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Salty » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:54 pm

Come on Yak, why wait? Send a little now and then a little more when the next tip you get on this site pays off. I already sent in a donation in small compensation for all I have learned on this site. Just got a nice private post yesterday with a whole bunch of hot information on how to catch coho in Oregon. Here is a picture worth the price of a donation. Try it next time you go out.

Here is the challenge. I will provide a picture of a genuine hot lure for each donator that asks. Of course hot for me probably is not worth much to most of you, but then again over 50 years of testing might mean a little.

There are variations on this combination, depending on a whole bunch of factors, that make it an essential part of the complete salmon trollers tool kit.

[attachment=0]Dad with nice King on Dodger and Pt. Defiance Spoon.jpg[/attachment

I am prohibited by offering monetary matches after last years salmon derby when in a moment of salmon derby trivia game insanity I upped the prize from cookies to $100.00 for the person who could guess in less than one minute my 5th grade basketball coach who had won the Sitka Salmon Derby. Since that coach was in Petersburg when he was coaching and had not been in Sitka for over 30 years I thought I was pretty safe. Don Jeske, with a wild guess he later confessed, somehow came up with Steve Laposki's name and won my $100.00 with five seconds to go.
Attachments
Dad with nice King on Dodger and Pt. Defiance Spoon.jpg
Dad with nice King on Dodger and Pt. Defiance Spoon.jpg (170.23 KiB) Viewed 13495 times
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby yak2you2 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:44 pm

Alright Salty, we'll be holding you to you it. As soon as I make my first donation I'll be looking for my genuine tip in my mailbox, and I want the good stuff. The super secret, blood oath, pinky shake stuff.
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Salty » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:14 am

The Turd.jpg

Here is what you guys all get until you donate:
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby ericv » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:31 pm

Salty, that must be a hybrid of the species that frequents our live-aboard harbors known as the "Boneless Brown". That species has yet to sprout tentacles. Sorry for the veer off topic, couldn't "pass" that one up. Lets keep those donations headed Jon's way.
ericv
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby tacorajim » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:49 pm

The next $50 donation to match my previous $50 donation will trigger another $50 donation to this site. And I'm on a fixed income as in limited. Meager.I'm poor.
tacorajim
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Salty » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:56 pm

Cross Sound Coho like bright hootchies.jpg
Cross Sound Coho like bright hootchies.jpg (19.02 KiB) Viewed 13256 times
Tacorajim,
You get the first reward. Here is a picture of one of my favorite coho hootchies, best in September, in Cross Sound and Icy Straits.

Lots more pictures of hot hootchies and spoons for those of you donating.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Katlian » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:24 pm

I just threw in $50. Thanks for supporting the fleet Jon.

Salty, how about two hootchies that have underperformed for you. I have too many weird hootchies and need to toss some out. Any suggestions.
Katlian
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby tacorajim » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:03 pm

Katlian's donation nearly broke me but I matched it like I said I would. I'm not whining. But what happened was I no sooner made that first $50 donation the other day, went out to my pickup to get some groceries. She wouldn't start. Paid a wrecker to tow 'old red' into the shop and spent $400 on a much needed tuneup.

So no more challenges. I just hope everybody who values Jon's site will put their money where there mouse is.
tacorajim
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Salty » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:49 pm

Hmm, Katlian, thanks for donating. I have no worthless hootchies. I just have a shortage of time and places to discover when and where they will produce.

This particular hootchie is rumored to work for some people but it has seldom worked for me. I recommend tossing them.

Green hootchi, compass, mouse pad.jpg
Green hootchi, compass, mouse pad.jpg (26.92 KiB) Viewed 13095 times
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Salty » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:51 pm

Katlian,
It did not escape my notice that you tried to get two tips for one donation. I will share another worthless lure with you when I hear of another donation. One hot tip for one donation.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Salty » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:55 pm

IMG_7317.JPG
IMG_7317.JPG (63.38 KiB) Viewed 13140 times
Tacorajim,
I hear you, I just brought this thing in for a tune-up also. Nearly $500 for oil change etc.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Katlian » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:20 pm

Salty,
I think that if you do the math, My donation and the donation that I caused as a match. I deserve two stinkers.
I recognize that hootchie. That is what they tell you to buy at the gear store if you do not know any better. It is pretty good at catching new guys. Salmon may not be so interested.

One more stinker please.

slr
Katlian
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Salty » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:47 pm

A real stinker.
The Turd.jpg
The Turd.jpg (17.54 KiB) Viewed 13085 times
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby shakers » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:16 pm

can you post a mailing address to send donation to?
shakers

Postby mydona » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:37 am

I donated last week and didn't even know I'd get a bonus of this magnitude. As to the $500 tune-up where did you get it? The last tune-up I sent my wife on cost a lot more than that! And for the hot fishing rig try this one..
Attachments
phone fishing small.jpg
phone fishing small.jpg (19.79 KiB) Viewed 12947 times
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Salty » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:09 pm

Mydona,
We have all been comment less since your amazing post.

But, I spent part of the day a couple of days ago while I was waiting vainly for a bite taking pictures of various hot hootchies. Isn't there some reader ready to donate who would like a genuine tip on a certifiable hot hootchie or like Katlian, some gear you might as well throw out?
For example: I have already caught at least one king on a hootchie this year. Want a picture of it? Donate!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mswkickdrum » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:26 pm

Salty,
Hope the bow poles are getting some good use, it sounds like you and your son have gotten them rigged up and running good.
Still trying to get my boat from barge condition to boat condition and fishing. I donated, as I too feel this site is an important element
to keeping trollers tied together and aware of communal concerns. Could only afford $30 right now, will get more into Jon later.
Is there a "beginners" spoon you could recommend? For instance if you're starting out and you don't have a ton of $ to spend right away,
what should one be picking up? I have lots of the typical stuff, gold, gold/chrome superiors, (scoured all over the place for original
ones, not china) hammered Emeralds in gold/chrome, orange/yellow canadians (i know thats not the "right" color names), pink and
yellow dotted mantises. What else should I be looking for? I need stuff that will "most often" catch "most" fish.

Thanks,
MSW
mswkickdrum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Salty » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:19 pm

DSC04994.JPG
Gold Canadian
DSC04994.JPG (183.33 KiB) Viewed 12743 times

Sounds like you have gold and chrome superiors. Be sure to have sizes 5-7 and learn the best hook for them. The originals are what you want if you can find them.

If I had to have one other spoon other than a superior then this would be the one. Works on both Chinook and coho.

Good luck!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next

Return to Site News & Suggestions