Winter Kings in Homer

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
Wperson
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Winter Kings in Homer

Post by Wperson »

Here is another issue that is building. Every year this fishery is getting bigger. Here they even state that these are not local fish: http://www.winterking.com/salmon.htm.

Wasn't the King quota for SE just cut 15%?

Just came from the Gearshed grinding my teeth after hearing six guys bragging about their last days catch.

Ward
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Winter Kings in Homer

Post by Salty »

There is a management plan and GHL for the sport fish winter Chinook catch in Cook Inlet, Kodiak, and Seward area. I was part of that decision during the short time I was on the BOF.
As long as it doesn't grow to be a big problem I actually feel this is a wonderful time for someone to go out and catch a king. The winter kings are so tasty and there aren't many salmon around then.

Most of the people catching them are locals instead of carbon guzzling "sporties" who have flown in from somewhere, hired a guide, and are often intoxicated when they hook one or at least when they are celebrating the catch and relating the story that night when I see them on the streets here.

It is howling NE around SE with the temperatures below freezing and I am recovering from a great football party last night here with 15 Duck fans to watch my alma mater play in a great National Championship game. As soon as the weather breaks I am going to get one of those tasty winter kings and we are going to eat and share it.
King salmon belly flap as appetizer.jpg
King salmon belly flap as appetizer.jpg (78.37 KiB) Viewed 3845 times
Wperson
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Winter Kings in Homer

Post by Wperson »

Hi Salty,

Yes right now most of the interest is local, but come April all that changes with the derby and lots of fish. Last October the fishing in the bay was better than fishing on local stocks in May, up the Inlet. The average a boat in Oct. was 11fish. In April limiting out is common.

Just talked to guide and he sold his Halibut IFQ for four lines, $95,000.00. He had four offers. These IFQ are on the market for $40,000. a line.

Guides that don't have IFQ or that kind of cash will be looking another niche.

So, as veteran of 40 years of fighting for allocation in Cook Inlet, I recommend to stay involved and aware. Might be a idea study our organizations (UCIDA) latest court case: http://www.law.state.ak.us/pdf/press/040610-motion.pdf

Also, I have Document for the "Heritage" in hand and if all goes well I will have a permit transferred by the end of the month. So if your in Hoonah this April, look me up. I'll be getting another old boat ready to fish.

Ward