GPS signals at risk

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GPS signals at risk

Post by Once and Future »

Monterey

Re: GPS signals at risk

Post by Monterey »

That is why I think mothballing and cancelling the LORAN stations in 2010 was so unwise. what? To save 167 million a year? that less than peanuts, that like a single grain of salt compared to the feast of debt the country is mired in. On top of that it damages our national security to depend on satellites that a singel solar flare can wipe out. i dont like to be so dependent like that without backup.
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Re: GPS signals at risk

Post by mydona »

Hurmph... You should have 2 systems on board that will never lie to you and give accurate readings, the radar and depth sounder. Get the dividers and parallel ruler out for a pinpoint location. IMO. GPS is the best invention since caned beans but I feel that the new generation is becoming too dependent and a little "Old School" navigation class is the best back-up. Oh, and by the way USCG regs require a paper chart to be on board so be ready to print those charts from your PC if you've already tossed your hard copies out.