Any opinion on making permits leasable?

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
Sobie2
Spammer?: No

Any opinion on making permits leasable?

Post by Sobie2 »

So is this a hot topic or taboo?

As I understand it, an emergency medical transfer is the only way you can lease a permit. If you aren't ill then you cannot lease out your permit. If the State of Alaska and the industry is concerned about "the graying of the fleet" making it legal to for permit owners to lease permits to newbies would seem like a great way to get new people into the fishery.

The State has fisheries loan programs but you have to be a commercial fishermen for two years to be eligible.

So 1) are people interested in making it legal to lease their permits? lease to buy or other?
2) what is the history or rational behind making it illegal to lease your limited entry permit? I seem to recall that for IFQs the rationale was that NOAA wanted the owner to be on the boat to prevent big corporations from owning the resource... they wanted actual fishermen to be fishing and not be land-lubber bound slumlords of the resource.

Sobie2
Sobie2

Re: Any opinion on making permits leasable?

Post by Sobie2 »

58 views and not a single comment to post????
Rusty

Re: Any opinion on making permits leasable?

Post by Rusty »

I am going to retire in two years, will be in my mid 50"s and been thinking of getting a boat. Been on this forum for about two years. Seeing what is being said by the full timers, looking at boats, permits, insurance, crunching numbers to see the feasibility of the hole thing. Off the top of my head these are the numbers I have come up with. A turn key boat is going to cost 60,000 grand on the low end. Yes you can go cheaper, but I have been a mechanic for 35 years and I want to start out fishing and not working on a boat for a year to get things in order. 30,000 or higher for a power troll permit ( the price seems to me going up I have seen several going for 35,000 ) another 10,000 for little things, gear, repacking the raft, insurance, couple batterys you know the drill on upkeep. So before I put one hook in the water I have 100,000 grand going into my new trade. I have seen emergency transfers come up and they are going for 10,000 to 12,000 grand. Even if I have the boat ect. I am 10,000 in the hole even before I start. And at the end of the season I have nothing to show for. The permit is still 30,000 grand.

And say you do have a permit in the family and would like to lease it for 10,000 grand a year. What incentive does that person have too ever sell it? They don't, it would become investment income. I don't think it would take long for the average Joe to see that and you would not be able get a permit at any cost. Myself I would never do it unless I own it outright. Looking at Alaska fish and game web site the average troller makes around 50,000 a year. Take 10,000 before expences every year. Well brother you better love what you are doing because you are never going to make any money.