Which of our orgs answers this crap?

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which of our orgs answers this crap?

Post by Once and Future »

Below is a link to a propaganda article promoting fish farming. Which one of our organizations is best at countering this drivel?

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Making-a ... or-protein

I've noticed before that as a small operator, each kick in the guts like this demoralizes me more than it would if I were a corporate executive, and these attacks were just another part of business. It's personal for me, in other words.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Which of our orgs answers this crap?

Post by Salty »

Alaska Trollers Association and thier executive director, Dale Kelley do a great job dealing with farmed salmon issues.
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by John Murray »

Maybe voting people into office who will work for our interest would help.People who might take a strong position on habitat destruction.A example of that is Captain Zero-Parnell who claims to want to protect our coastal areas but will not support a good Coastal Zone Management Plan .
Sorry to say habitat has taken many blows for developement,look at Puget Sound,the Oregon coast,Sealaska lands.Scerw up once productive lands and waters it often leads to loss of food producing areas.Then the cry for production of food to feed our protein needs,up steps farm fish etc.Think of what SE Alaska produces fish wise with our land development and better overall habitat compared that to the NW.
I did read that article it was so rah-rah fish farms to a fault,no balance of views.
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

Point of order.

Alaska is doing okay I think. But yes, down with the fish farming.
Tim

Post by Tim »

As John mentioned, getting folks into office that work to protect our resources and habitat is a positive move. Parnell has been countering many protective measures that keep Alaskans in on ouur own resources, (Is this guy jockeying for a future federal office bid or what?)

Keeping farmed anything off our coastlines, I believe, is a front line issue, among many, many more. But as soon as some fish farming gets a toehold in SE, it could mean a real devastating blow to the wild salmon, the entire marine ecosystem here, wild and enhanced fishing jobs and entire ways of life. I was just sent a link about a blackcod farming effort right off Bainbridge Island.

I live most of the year on the northern Norwegian coast and am in the midst of a wild salmon zone that got punished after years of over-harvesting, battered by fish farms that are systematically poisoning the other target species for fishers (cod for example) and is slowly replacing a traditional way of life with one of becoming a fish farmer. The Norwegian gov't has just set forth proposals to effectively double the fish farm production. Like trawlers, the fish farmers have very strong lobbyists. Once those farms are introduced, its goodnight Irene. Any privatization of a resource is a big step in the wrong direction in my view.