Chinook Disaster Relief for Charter and Net Guys

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
FV_Wild_Card
Spammer?: No

Chinook Disaster Relief for Charter and Net Guys

Post by FV_Wild_Card »

http://www.scribd.com/doc/113181249/Sus ... n-disaster

So... when your enterprise depletes the resource it revolves around... and your business plan is no longer viable... you call for federal aid. This kind of activity is just paving the way to federally managed fisheries in Alaska.

http://deckboss.blogspot.com/2012/11/st ... aster.html
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Chinook Disaster Relief for Charter and Net Guys

Post by Salty »

Did you know there is a federal management plan for the Alaska troll fishery?
FV_Wild_Card

Post by FV_Wild_Card »

The Federal Management Plan defers management of the commercial troll fishery in Southeast Alaska to the State of Alaska. There is no salmon FMP for Cook Inlet or anywhere out west that I am aware of. Being that it is unconstitutional for a state to treat with a foreign country (Canada), we had to have Fed involvement.
FV_Wild_Card

Post by FV_Wild_Card »

I think that Chinook mitigation thing was wrong too.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I am impressed. So, on the mitigation, would you have rather had the 15% cut with no mitigation, or a different way of spending the mitigation funds?
I am sure we all would have rather had a different governor, like Fran Ulmer, that would have actually fought for Alaskan Fishermen instead of trading us off for a failed vp run. Then we wouldn't have needed mitigation.
FV_Wild_Card

Post by FV_Wild_Card »

A different way of spending the funds. The entire direct pay portion should have gone to enhancement and infastructure.

When ever the government disperses non-loan funds to private for-profit businesses it's a bad thing. The resource and market should decide the outcome. If there's less product available and the supply and demand of the market does not raise the price keeping the venture viable, it should be up to the private business owners to diversify, borrow or sell out as they see fit to stay in/out of business.

A different governor couldn't have hurt either.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Thank you, I thought I was the only one who felt this way. I thought we should invest the money in production (enhancement, infrastructure) and then let the fleet compete for the resulting mitigation. Since I am in the final years of my trolling this would benefit the young fishermen more than us old trollers.
But, it is a done deal. I spent time Sunday making phone calls for the Chinook Futures Coalition raising money to protect our share of treaty Chinook and make sure Alaska has our back this time.
FV_Wild_Card

Post by FV_Wild_Card »

Is the troll tendering fleet on your call list?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Good question, I will find out.