Deck Boss Blog

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Deck Boss Blog

Post by Salty »

http://deckboss.blogspot.com/

I read this blog almost every day. Usually some very interesting posts, particularly in the comments section. Of interest to trollers today is an article on the SE Chinook returns to our rivers, particularly the Stikine and Taku. The runs are low and there is no planned directed troll or gillnet fishery on these stocks in 2013. There is also a great comment in response to a comment comparing trollers to trawlers that I thought I would paste here.

"Comparing trollers to trawlers is like comparing snaggers to fly fishermen. Trolling is a small boat fishery producing the highest quality, best handled salmon in the world from a highly regulated and scrutinized fishery where every fish, particularly Chinook, are counted and analyzed by scores of managers and analysts.
Trawlers on the other hand are fishing with relatively unrestricted gear for high volumes of relatively poor quality, low value groundfish. Their "by-catch" of Chinook is estimated by partial observer coverage, the mystery of the resulting "imaginary" numbers only exceeded by the wonder of sport fish self-reported numbers."

December 7, 2012 10:36 AM
squareface
Spammer?: No

Re: Deck Boss Blog

Post by squareface »

Deck boss has great info!
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

You forgot to mention the other post about hating trollers Eric every troller should read that comment so we all have a clear picture that we do indeed have enemies and there is a need for money and support for ATA and the various other political orginzations that stand up to protect our way of life.

Keep Your Hand On It
Tom
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Holy Toledo, I see there are some new remarks using words illegal on TV or Radio. As most readers of this forum know, Tom and I are big advocates for ATA and other groups fighting for us fishermen. Now is a good time to get out the checkbook and pay your dues, deductible for this year if you do it before the end of the month.
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Post by Abundance »

For what its worth, I love the Deckboss, but the comments board seems to be almost entirely populated by pointy headed trolls. Seriously, look at the comments on almost any entry. I don't know how a place ends up like that, but if they carried the truly standard moods and attributes of fisherman, we would have killed each other a long time ago.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Pointy headed trolls as opposed to trollers. Good one Garrett.