Ghosts of 2013 Dead Ahead...

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ghosts of 2013 Dead Ahead...

Post by ata »

Greetings All!

Looks like the ghosts of Christmas future got themselves mustered up to ring in 2013 with a vengeance. It's going to be a busy year, so thought I'd give you a quick preview.

Board of Fisheries:The sport folks out West get the lump of coal award for dumping a series of proposals into Alaska's Christmas sock that would negatively impact commercial fisheries management around the state. We must work to exchange these 'gifts' for a recognition that the one-size-fits all approach simply won't work when it comes to sustaining both fish and fishing communities.

Treaty: It is nearing the mid-point of the Chinook agreement and that's when things will start hopping inTreatyland. There are always many ornaments hanging off the Treaty tree. To name just a couple - the outcome of a '5-year review' and preparing for renegotiation of the full agreement will be important themes for troll reps and the state to work through as negotiations start ramping up in January.

Vessel Discharge: If you think you have a lot to do this winter just keeping Jack Frost at bay, wait till you have to deal with unrealistic discharge regs for things like bilge, greywater, and deckwash! Fortunately, there is finally a bill pending that will help small boat operators. ATA has worked with Alaska, West, and East Coast congressional delegations to help secure two moratoriums, but we must now get this thing settled for good! A secondary issue affecting our freezer boats is also still hanging over our heads and demands a fix.

GE Salmon: Just in time to stick the present under the tree, NOAA released it's finding of NO significant impact for GE salmon. Comment deadline is Feb. 25. http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketDeta ... 011-N-0899 Should the FDA decide to approve the piscium invention from the elves in Aquabounty's workshop, there will be ongoing debates regarding its use and regulation within the US fish farm industry; and, labeling will become a bigger issue.

Fish Farming: Several offshore aquaculture bills were left hanging in congress and are likely to create fireworks in the New Year, particularly as the country is worrying over 'fiscal cliffs' and seeking ways to up the GDP.

Observers:ATA is working with the longline groups who hope to push back NOAA's new impractical and burdensome observer program. This is one issue that we should all be watching closely, as it will deeply affect troller/longliners and sets some very dangerous precedent for the small boat fleets. If we don't fix this, that clatter on the rooftop could be your new cot after you are forced to give up precious bunk space to the observer.

Healthcare: As all you Santa's out there know, it's possible to get hurt as you work to deliver gifts from the sea. ATA continues to align with groups who are trying to secure more affordable health insurance and improved delivery of care in rural communities. A major deadline for launching a key Alaska effort is Dec. 31 and we hope to bring some good news on this front in the New Year.

The fleet must be united and ATA needs to be strong for the battles ahead in 2013. We know about many of the issues that will ring in 2013, but there are always those surprise gifts that we receive each year from our secret friends.

If your dues are due and you haven't yet sent them, you can still pay on the phone with a credit or debit card. Give a call (907)586-9400 or shoot me a message (on here or ata@gci.net)with your phone number and I'll give you a call today or tomorrow. Bring along your coding partners and friends - you don't have to do this alone! Additional contributions are always welcome - and we can separate them according to areas of interest (legal fund/treaty defense/fish farm, etc). If you want to get that payment in for the 2012 tax year, please contact me before 3pm on Monday Dec. 31!

If you are a current ATA member - thank you so much for your ongoing support! If you are on the fence, please step up and do your part - do not make a few carry what should be the collective fleet's water. I look forward to answering any questions and adding newbies to the ATA rolls!

Hope everyone had a wonderful 2012 and that the New Year is better still for you and yours. Here's to peace and prosperity for all.

Happy New Year!

Dale
ATA
Kelper
Spammer?: No

Re: Ghosts of 2013 Dead Ahead...

Post by Kelper »

Thanks Dale.

Any news on a spring hatchery opening for kings out of Craig for those Port St Nicholas Kings?
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

Hi...

No news yet. But do come to the April spring hatchery port meetings to discuss with the Department! Those meetings are usually combination ADFG/ATA meetings, but if timing and budget don't allow me to get to that particular meeting, we will figure out another time that works better for an ATA port meeting. My guess is we can talk Steve into something in Craig, after the winter fishery.

Cheers!

Dale
ATA
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

Thanks Dale

Keep your Hand on it

Tom
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Thanks Dale and Tom for all both of you do. I think there is a letter headed your way shortly on the troll share of the SE Alaska hatchery harvest.