Chinook Mitigation Heads Up!

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chinook Mitigation Heads Up!

Post by ata »

Hi All:

New regulations for the Southeast Alaska Chinook Mitigation program have been slowly working through the system. It looks like they are just about complete and we will be able to announce the details soon. Qualified trollers are likely to receive applications for direct payment in January; you should have at least 60 days to get the applications back to the state. We have asked the state to make applications available online.

Like last year, three project areas were funded: commercial and sport infrastructure, enhancement, and direct pay to trollers.

The direct pay program is marginally different than last year and will include qualified trollers who landed fish during the summer of 2010, 2011, and 2012.

Again, final rules haven't been published, but do be checking your mail closely over the next couple of months. If you have questions about the program, don't hesitate to contact me. ATA worked very hard to secure this program for the fleet and we hope it will be of benefit to you.

I will update you on this site, and others, just as soon as the regulations are absolutely final and we get news that direct pay applications are in the mail. You can also check the state webpage for information. We will update our webpage with any new links they might create, but for now here is the current state site: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?ad ... 014program

Season's Best!

Dale
ATA
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Chinook Mitigation Heads Up!

Post by ata »

Hi All:

Just a quick update on mitigation...

Still awaiting final sign-off of the regulations by the attorney general's office. From there, the regs go to the Lt. Governor for signature. After he signs, it will be 30 days (by law) until the regulations are final. It's unclear whether or not the state will be able to begin the application process for direct pay and/or infrastructure grants during the 30 day waiting period, but we made the request. The state definitely wouldn't be able to finalize anything in that timeframe, which wouldn't be a problem, since there is expected to be a 60 day application process for the direct pay program.

Some trollers have contacted me with concerns that there is an intentional delay. That is absolutely not the case! In fact, the state has been great to work with throughout this entire process. From outside looking in, it appears that there has been a huge number of projects overwhelming the system this year, in addition to some short staffing and then new hires getting their feet under them. We are not the only group experiencing the impact of delays and just have to be patient.

As soon as things are officially signed and sealed, I'll report back on this site, Facebook, the ATA site and newsletter, which I've held in anticipation of the announcement.

The good news is that you will be able to apply for mitigation covering 2010 and 2011. Next year, the final, will provide mitigation for the 2012 season. The only reason you can't get that payment this year is that it takes about a year for the catch numbers to be finalized. Hopefully we won't have the regulatory process to contend with in 2014, which would greatly streamline things.

Please don't forget to thank the ATA board and mitigation team members (Steve on the C'est La Vie, Howard on the Chaos, and Richie on the Westbank) for all the energy that they've put into this program. They really have been watching your back! Hey - maybe the best 'thank you' present would be signing on as an ATA member. I'm just sayin'...=)

OH... a bit of good mitigation project news - Pelican is expected to have ice this summer!!

Cheers!

Dale
ATA
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Dale,
I know you also have been instrumental in shepherding this through the system. Thank you so much and thanks for posting it here. This is the first up date I have heard.

Eric
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

Thanks, Eric! Yep, I'm part of the team as well, but this is the kind of thing ATA members and supporters pay me the big bucks for.

What you understand, but many folks don't realize, is how much fishing and family time the fleet volunteers give up. At the end of the day, some of the mitigation team members will walk away with a deficit, simply for helping get the rest of the fleet some assistance. Seems important, to me, that y'all at least know that and and show them some appreciation.

As for this being the first update, that's because there just hasn't been much to say. The last thing I want to do is brief the fleet on the details of a program that gets turned on its head, so that's why all the silence. Til the regulation and signatory process is complete, you never know what might happen. Fortunately, things are about as on-track as we could hope for, aside from the painful waiting part. When that's over, I'll give everyone an accounting of how we fared. Hopefully trollers will be pleased with the outcome, and other Chinook harvesters should also be pretty happy with the benefits they'll see from enhancement and infrastructure projects that all SE salmon fishermen will share. Even the other fleets will benefit, through things like ice at Pelican and Craig, improved fuel service at Yakutat and Port Protection, etc.

More as we know it.

Good fishing!

Dale
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Post by Abundance »

Any more information on this? I haven't seen anything from the state yet.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

Hi Garrett:

The fleet will receive applications in early March, with a mid-May deadline to return to the state. I'll post a more comprehensive update soon, but you can use the link above to monitor things, too.

Dale
ATA
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

So, Dale and all,
What is this going to amount to? $100.00, $1,000, or more per power troller? Hand troller? And when are the checks likely to arrive, middle of June, July?
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

Hi Eric:

Like last round, the amounts will be unique by individual, so there is no way for me to answer your question about how much money per troller. 75% of the fund will be shared by trollers who landed at least one king salmon; 25% will be split by those trollers according to individual tonnage. How far 'the fund' will stretch will be determined by how many eligible people apply for the available money.

Applications for direct payments should be mailed about March 1. Deadline to apply is May 13th.

Is it for hand and power trollers? Absolutely!! Here at ATA, we work for TROLLERS, period - we don't care how your lines are retrieved.

The first round of mitigation money was for the 2009 fishing year. This round will pay for two more years (2010 and 2011 = $3.3 million). Next year will be the last application period for this program, and that will cover 2012 ($1.4 million). The only reason 2012 isn't included this time is that landings numbers are still considered 'preliminary' by the state. That is normal and there was no way around it. We had 2010-11 combined into one application for your convenience.

I'd say 'summer' is a good bet for delivery of checks. BUT, no check if you don't apply!! I've asked the state to make applications available online, but there is a downside to using that option - you will not be able to contest your tonnage number. Still, if you are going to be out of state during the application period, this is a good deal. By the way, CFEC had very few appeals last time, and almost none involved tonnage.

The mitigation program is a direct result of ATA's efforts to help offset the fleet's Chinook losses under the 2009 treaty agreement.

In addition to direct payments to trollers, we invested more money into infrastructure specific to the needs of the fleet. That money will go out to bid in early March. Last round brought you things like improved ice in Craig, fuel storage in Port Protection, a fuel delivery system in Yakutat, and more hatchery fish. But improving the situation at Pelican was our top priority, and this summer you should be able to get iced up in Pelican for the first time in way too many years.

Of course, when it comes to the Pelican ice project, don't forget to thank the locals. They have worked really, really hard to make sure the city would be able to take on this project and get it done. It's been a long - and often frustrating - haul for Pelican-ites, and I'm very proud of the progress we're all making towards rejuvenating that important troll port.

See our Winter 2012 newsletter for a recap of what the state approved for 2011 infrastructure and enhancement projects, and also a glimpse at the 2010-12 ideas the ATA board was working on at that time. Our infrastructure 'wish list' ended up a little different than you'll see there, and there are a few enhancement projects coming for both sport and troll. However, we just have ideas about what we'd like to see happen. The money first has to go through the state's private bidding process, so we won't know what proposals will be submitted, or what projects the state will select until it's announced sometime this spring. The application period for enhancement and infrastructure opened Feb.15th and will close April 16th. That's different than the direct pay. We wanted businesses to be able to get moving on projects this summer. For direct pay, we didn't want trollers to miss applications during the heart of the winter fishery, so asked the state to allow a little more time to apply.

Winter Newsletter: http://aktrollers.org/newsletters/Winter12news.pdf
State of AK Update on Chinook Mitigation Program:http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?ad ... ation.main

Our budget is extremely tight so I've been holding the ATA newsletter until I was certain the program had final approval and could announce official deadlines for this and another issue. It should be out soon, and we'll continue to update/remind trollers about the program and deadline for application on this site and others.

Sure hope everyone's ATA dues are paid...

Dale
ATA
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Great report Dale, I am glad I asked.
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

Thanks. Not as tidy as I'd like, but I'm trying to recover and clear my desk after back to back treaty and UFA meetings, so might not get that version done right away. Figured folks cruising the site would see your question and start weighing in with their best guesses and dock rumor, which sometimes can be fun - and other times, not so much.=)

Seriously, if folks have questions, lemme know. Email, personal messages, and calls to the office will probably get quickest responses, since I'm not on here every day.

Dale
ATA
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

ONE MORE THING....

If you haven't checked your mailing address with CFEC for awhile, please do so before March 1st. That way, the state will have a current address to send you your application. Obviously permit renewal time is a good way to get this done, but there can be glitches. Cruise on over to the CFEC website and look yourself up - if they have incorrect information, give them a call right away! http://www.cfec.state.ak.us/plook/

Dale
ATA