Mandatory dockside exams

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Mandatory dockside exams

Post by Salty »

Well folks, after thousands of dollars and hours of going through the checklist to make sure I had all the paperwork and required items I finally got a voluntary exam yesterday. It had been several years since my last one. I only "failed" five items. After 6 hours of work and several hundred more dollars I was re-inspected and now have a sticker.
I also have:
Three new survival suits, all the new flares, a new mast lite, alcohol testing kits, new epirb hydrostatic release, new bilge alarm in my cockpit, new batteries in all my survival suit lites, new float ring, new line to the float ring, new pin on the epirb case, updated contact information, a waterproof handheld VHF, new Coast pilot, light lists, tide and current tables, and updated SE paper chart.
Fortunately I am under 36 feet, have a maximum of three people on board, and always stay within 12 miles or there would have been a lot more requirements, like a raft.
I highly recommend everyone go through this. The examiner here in Sitka was great to work with, his grandfather and my father were friends in Petersburg, and he assured me that it would be easier next time.
Between the various improvements associated with a survey last fall, regular maintenance, some unexpected equipment failures needing replacement, and improvements in safety gear it has been an expensive winter. But, the boat is working great and if some fish show up we should be able to work on em.
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Post by mydona »

guess I should have posted here.
Found a new USCG web page for com fish regs. and Pre dockside exams. I'm still checking it out but looks extensive; http://www.fishsafe.info/ Don't miss the CHECKLIST GENERATOR section.
As to gumby suits, like a fire extinguisher, I wonder if we can do it ourselves and just get the magic marker out, do the yearly wax, batteries, etc and list the inspection date, with your initials on it or the bag? If a pressure test is needed couldn't I just fill the face hole with a bouy or balloon, add air and look for leaks? My suits only see daylight once a year and saltwater when I have a greenhorn on board that has never been in a suit in the water. Oh and once in the Craig pool for a class. Do the new suits have an expiration date on them? Or a manufactured date? What about shelf life, does Murry refold them every year to prevent creases? Do new ones come with plastic boot covers for ease of donning?
Paper Charts.. I know I'm required.. so from the charting program just hit print and put it in a folder? How many boats are required to have parallel rules, dividers so the paper is useful?
Holding tank for the head...regs don't say what size..a plug at the end of a 3' hose past the "Y" valve? I've passed using this in the past.
Hand held VHF.. mine has a high and low setting and so does the one in the pilot house. It's got it's own battery! Whats the difference? none and where in the regs does it say a Hand held won't pass? Waterproof verses water resistance regs don't say. It's just a good idea.
I realize this is bending the regs a bit but just trying to cut cost without sacrificing safety. I believe these are loop holes that will be covered soon enough. USCG courses (50/100 ton licenses) and TWIC's cards, so you can walk the docks, are coming.
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

Hi All:

Here's the current dockside inspection schedule:

- Yakutat: 03-07 June

- Haines: 11-12 June

- Sitka: 17-18 June **

- Pelican: 24-25 June

- POW: 24-26 June

- Elfin Cove: (TBD)

** Sitka has a full time examiner but there will be three of them on the docks June 17-18th.

Good fishing!

Dale
ATA
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Mydona,
Great idea, I should have thought about printing a chart from the web. Good points on what is required and what isn't. I printed out the checklist twice and it was very helpful.
Not all the stuff I printed out was required for the exam, for example: all the engine work, the hand held waterproof VHF, extra alarms. Another thing that was not required that I highly recommend is a watch alarm. I turn ours on whenever we are running anywhere, day or night. Another thing that is not required but a good idea is some sort of lifting sling to help pull a guy out of the water. I have a rope rigged to use with our winch.
The main thing about this exam is not that it will save you in an emergency, which it might, but that all that attention to detail will keep you from sinking or needing it.