Yakutat Tax?

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Yakutat Tax?

Post by yak2you2 »

Abundance, this town like most small towns in Alaska is in tough shape, economically. Logging is over, the crab are gone, not much tourism. Salmon is what it was built for, and salmon is what were set up for, we just don't have enough. No fish, no economy, it's as simple as that. So yes, I see no going back. The hatchery has to happen, period. If the tax doesn't pass, I don't know if the state will give us our start up loan. Without the loan, I don't know how we'll do it, but we will, if it means bake sales, we'll get it done.
A 2% commitment towards the cause from the troll fleet, will go a long way.
I don't think you'll find anybody opposed to fast tracking a small king program, we've been wanting a spring hatchery opener forever. Just have to figure out where to release that the state will feel comfortable with. Same with cohos, I don't think anybody is opposed to more high end fish, it's just a matter of getting ourselves established financially first, so we have the funds to branch out, and meeting state requirements with where we could release from.
I appreciate the incite from all of you regarding pinks, it's helpful to hear views from all sides.
akfisher1978
Spammer?: No

Post by akfisher1978 »

Yak2you Has the gillnet fleet been asked to pitch in on this since chums are targeted by them also? With the few amount of trollers you have there is 2% out of that area enough to make a difference? How about a federal grant, they seem to be throwing plenty of money around these days!
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

The gillnet fleet will pay the same tax. 2% on all salmon deliveries. With the current salmon harvested, you could never make payments. I assume the state hopes the payback comes with the returning hatchery fish.
We have secured some grant money, and are actively persuing more, the purse strings are pretty tight though, and so are the stipulations. Most of whats out there is good for studies and things, but infarstructure and actual eggs, will mostly be state loan.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Yak, you are doing a great job explaining. I hope you win the vote. If you don't let's get together via correspondence and plan an information campaign for the next vote.
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

@khaos, the Craig troll buyers don't have the facilities to handle salmon roe, so no. It is somewhat saddening to see something that goes for thirty dollars a pound go to fattening crabs, but that's the way it is.
I don't mean to demean what anybody is saying on here when I say that arguments aren't getting us anywhere. It just seems like nobody is changing their minds, and the mood is getting a bit strident. Everybody's viewpoint makes sense to themselves, and there comes a point that fighting each other just becomes pointless. A bit more respect and bit more of a humble approach to a conflict would be good advice for all of us.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Well said Garrett. I wrote two long stories yesterday detailing the importance of diversity in troll ideas and fishing. I also wrote a history of the SE troll pink fishery moving to a round troll fishery in Sitka and Cross Sound. For some reason I lost both of them before posting.
I got a call this morning from a reader here experienced in serving on a hatchery board asking me to post that Cost Recovery will most likely be needed to help pay for loans, operation, etc. in Yakutat. That he couldn't see the assessment, grants, etc. being enough to pay for a hatchery program. I agree.
The one incontrovertible fact of history is that it has been a good idea for fishermen to form hatchery associations and invest in ocean ranching technology in SE and PWS. The biggest problem we have is the ensuing internal conflict between fishermen in sharing the bounty. But, let me tell you, having lived through the scarcities of Alaska salmon in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, fighting over the bounty is much better than fighting over the remains of the devastation caused by the fish traps and high seas gillnetting.
JYDPDX

Post by JYDPDX »

This application comes with any mac but here is a download for PCs. MS word would work to.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-too ... Edit.shtml

If you construct your long posts with a word processing program, you will never lose one again. Browser windows are bad for word processing because if you lose your internet connection or accidentally hit a key that closes the window or a link that takes you to another page, you will lose what you have written. It will also prevent accidentally posting anything unintended.

You also get much more room to work with rather than that tiny text box in the browser.

Almost forgot so say, you will have to select, copy and paste your text into the browser. Its really easy and there are keyboard shortcuts that are helpful.
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

Thank you, Joe. I sometimes use Microsoft Word and paste when I am writing a long post, after a few bad experiances. Whats really bad is when I use my glichty od phon witout spllchek.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Thanks Joe, really appreciate that advice and link. Would have those two stories now for sharing later if I had followed that advice. Going to that link now.

Eric
akfisher1978

Post by akfisher1978 »

Yak2 my question is this. What infrastructure is set in place for the hatchery? Also is there already a REAL plan? President, secretary, treasurer? Support from the state? Asking for 2% is big deal when it has an an effect on peoples livelihood. Hopefully it would not end up being some way to employee a few people but not benefit the fisherman!
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

Quite a bit of progress already actually. We have a president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, all named on the YRAA website. We have a director /advisor hired, there is an RPT board formed, and we have in the neighborhood of 200,000 dollars worth of grants secured to proceed with planning and studies. We are applying for more monies currently. The local area salmon management plan is being updated. This spring water flow testing will take place, and we will proceed with zeroing in on where the facility will be located. Release sights will be identified shortly there after. There is a couple of existing structures that could potentially be utilized that are being considered in order to skip the expense and time of this step. The state hatchery team is fully involved with helping us set up, developing a plan, and will be overseeing implementation. We've had the directors of NSRAA, and DIPAC in to advise us on a course of action. Once the tax is in place and the loan secured, the actual infarstructure will be put in place, eggs purchased,and employees hired.
Keep in mind that this will be operated just like any other regional hatchery that you may be a part of. All boardmembers will be subject to elections that you will be voting on. Regular RPT meetings will take place that you will have the opportunity to participate in.
We are all trying our hardest to help it succeed. A 2% tax on the current wild fish caught in the region wouldn't get us very far. The community, and anyone imterested in fishing in the region are depending on this to work. There is a tremenous sense of responsibility in the air at every board meeting we've held.
Akdreamlures

Post by Akdreamlures »

Yak,
There were a lot of questions about this tax at the fisherman's coffee klatch I sometimes drop in on. I did my best and referred them to this thread.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Yak,
There were quite a few questions today about this tax and why SE trollers were asked to vote on it at the morning trollers coffee klatch I sometimes drop in on. I did my best to explain and referred them to this thread.
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

Hi All:

This week I received a number of calls with questions about the enhancement tax that's been proposed by Yakutat Regional Aquaculture Association (YRAA), so thought I'd share ATA's position on the matter.

ATA wrote in support of YRAA's application to form the aquaculture association and subsequently voted to support a 2% aquaculture assessment for fish landed in the Yakutat Borough.

ATA has no current position on the mix of stocks that will be raised or specific hatchery projects that YRAA might choose to pursue.

My understanding with regard to the ATA Board's intent when voting in support was that they believe:

1. any area of the state should have the opportunity to pursue a hatchery program; and,
2. those who would be affected by the proposed hatchery program have every right to comment; and,
3. those who would be taxed will weight the risks/costs against the benefits, and then vote the hatchery tax up or down.

ATA understands that the Yakutat folks are looking for ways to develop and sustain their fisheries. However, ATA's vote in support of forming this aquaculture association does not mean that we will support any and all projects that YRAA suggests in the future. ATA will review proposals as they are submitted and decide at that time whether or not to issue support.

The first hurdle that any proposal has to clear will be whether or not wild stocks are protected. ATA has a specific in-house policy that favors wild over hatchery - we don't want to compromise local salmon stocks. Enhancement proposals are studied as they are submitted, and ATA relies heavily on ADFG's advice with regard to the conservation aspects. There are many other aspects to consider and each proposal will have its unique features to evaluate.

It's my hope that fishermen will respect the Yakutat folks request to seriously consider the YRAA proposal. And before you cast your vote, be sure to call someone on the YRAA Board with any specific questions you might have about their program goals and objectives. http://www.yraa.org/Page_2.html

Ballots must be postmarked by March 7th.

Don't forget to vote!

Dale
ATA
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

Hi All:

The Yakutat salmon enhancement tax has been approved by the voters and state.

Beginning May 1, 2013, all troll salmon landings in Yakutat will be assessed 2% to support the new aquaculture association.

Congratulations to Yakutat Regional Aquaculture Association!

Dale
ATA
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Congratulations Yakutat. Good work Case and Dale. Good questions and answers here.