GE Salmon - Comin' Right Up?

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GE Salmon - Comin' Right Up?

Post by ata »

Hi All:

Check out this link to sign on to Senator Begich's letter opposing FDA approval of GE salmon:
http://begich.com/landing/w1301ffe/?su ... rankenfish

This issue remains one of ATA's top priorities and we are working daily with others around the country and world who are concerned about FDA's inadequate review of this landmark genetically modified animal. In the coming weeks there will be more sign on opportunities for groups and individuals, so send us a personal message or email with your name, address, and email if you'd like to be involved.

GE salmon would be the FIRST ever modified animal approved for human consumption, but a number of other critters are waiting in the wings. While FDA and the promoters of GE salmon would like the public to think it's been subject to rigorous scientific investigation, that's simply not true. GE salmon is being treated as if it is an animal drug - not food for human consumption. We believe the public deserves a proper vetting of this cutting edge product, and that will mean something much more comprehensive than FDA simply giving a nod to the developers research.

At the end of the day, if federal officials decide that the fish meets its standards as a safe food, they should ensure that it is appropriately labeled, so that those of us who prefer not to participate in the grand GMO experiment can make a conscious choice! And don't forget, in order for labeling programs to be meaningful, there must be a credible method to monitor and enforce them.

The entire Alaska Congressional Delegation, along with representatives from some of the other coastal states, have been working hard to bring common sense to the GE debate. They have requested a 60-day comment extension for FDA's current comment period and more study of the issue. As of today, FDA has not responded to those requests. Several bills were left hanging last year, but we will probably see new legislation very soon in this congress. Many state legislators and city councils are following suit, all of them trying to send a common message, that more more people are concerned about the food they eat and how it affects the environment we all share. Please boost their efforts by contacting your local, state, and federal representatives to support their efforts, or asking them to take action if they haven't. Tell your public officials what's on your mind about this important topic, and let them know they can contact ATA for information and assistance.

Really, what's more important than the food you put in your mouth?

Please write FDA before the comment period closes February 25 at midnight East Coast time (8pm Alaska). It's easy to comment online:

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDe ... -0899-0002

That's the mission... I hope you chose to accept!

Rock on...

Dale
ATA
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Re: GE Salmon - Comin' Right Up?

Post by Trnaround »

Dale, I share your convictions and have left these comments at the link that you have provided. Thank you:
"I am absolutely opposed to the genetically engineered Atlantic Salmon. Altering the genetic makeup of this species with species traits of the Pacific King Salmon to make a fish that grows larger and faster is scientific arrogance. What is wrong with the species the way they are? To mix these species is dangerous to the already sensitive wild species that we are trying to enhance and protect in the event they are ever released or escape into the wild. There will be altered protein synthesis and there are no studies to determine whether these proteins will be tolerated by the humans consuming them. Do we really need to experiment on the unsuspecting public? This fish will not solve world hunger, it will only benefit it's creator with a patent royalty. It is unquestionably unethical science."
I thought posting these comments may give some talking points for others if they agree.
Dan
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

Thanks, Dan!

Your comments are spot on and much appreciated. I hope others will follow your lead and share their point of view.

Cheers!

Dale
ATA
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

Hi All:

Trnaround provided a few talking points, which is obviously helpful when putting together letters on issues. I'm not done with ATA's remarks on the current FDA comment period, so will attach a couple of other documents that might help you gather your thoughts.

1. Comments to FDA's earlier request for input on labeling.
2. Comments on a GE salmon resolution that is currently in the Alaska Legislature, HJR 5.

I hope y'all will consider writing a letter. Brief is fine, what's most important is that you make your thoughts known to 'the deciders'!
Please send ATA a copy.

Dale
ATA
Attachments
ATA GMO Salmon Labeling Comment 1110.pdf
(92.28 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
ATA Comments HJR 5 GE Salmon, 020113.pdf
(256.24 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

Dale: I don't understand the format of the comment form. Why do we have to list our "organization"? (I assume we put Alaska Troller's Association.) Also, a "category"?
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

Hi...

Yea, I just looked and it is a little weird, since they require an 'organization'. Please do NOT put ATA, because FDA will only count one comment from each organization. Our comments are likely to be submitted right on deadline.

Instead, I suggest individuals write 'Citizen' in the 'organization' box. Then,in the last box where it asks for the type of organization, go to the last one on the list, which is 'individual consumer' - or maybe food industry (but that usually means the other sectors). They don't list fishermen, or even 'other', but one of the other categories will be close enough for their purposes.

Thanks for pointing that out - and especially, for making time to comment on the issue!

Dale
ATA
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dale: Thank you for answering my question. I registered a comment, but was surprised there was no place to check an "in favor of" or "opposed to" box on the form. I don't really expect anyone to read my comments out of the thousands they will receive. I just merely wanted to be recorded as "opposed" to gm salmon. Perhaps I have done that by signing on to Begich's petition. Also, Dale, if you don't have time to answer again I completely understand. Salty and others have posted other links to the issue. But I am sorry to report I spent Wednesday working on some unrelated political issues. I can only stomach so much of it!
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also, isn't FDA going to say their only mission is to decide whether the fish is safe for a human to consume?
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Post by Trnaround »

Those letters are really excellent, Dale. I hope they are listening.
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

Hi All:

Trnaround...thanks. It's nice to get feedback and helps keep me on track, by letting me know if I'm accurately portraying the broader fleet sentiment. This isn't my privage gig - I represent YOU (and hopefully you're a member=), and that's important to me. Oh, and folks, if you think I screw up on something, please do ATA a favor and send me a personal message or give me a call, ok? Errors can be corrected and positions adjusted. I'll take responsibility when it's my mistake and I'll talk to the board if lots of trollers take issue with an ATA position. Unfortunately, public impressions for the association are tougher to fix and sometimes groups get a bad rap they don't deserve. That's getting way tougher in the Bloggosphere.

Once and Future... FDA's primary study isn't about food safety. This is one of the most troubling parts. They are analyzing GE salmon as they would a drug for use on animals. Sure, they also give a nod to food safety, but they are not using the normal standards and protocols for review of foodstuff, or even a human drug. They have been able to keep this thing tightly under wraps, because the drug review process allows for the protection of patent rights. You see, if you do the R&D to manufacture a drug that's approved for use, you are given a period of time to market that drug solely under your label. One of the reasons for this is so that you can recoup the cost of your research, which seems fair enough. Many drug companies get an extension of that time period; and, among other things, that helps fend off the cheaper generic companies who didn't do the original legwork. The makers of one drug, commonly referred to as 'mother's little helper' (tribute to the Stones is all - no offense intended to moms!) cornered the market for nearly 20 years. I'm guessing that ended up to be one valuable patent.

I think you covered your bases by commenting online and also signing Begich's letter. The agencies often do count up and report on the 'for' and 'against' comments. The exception is form letters. If you are ever considering using a form letter, because your too busy or you fear you can't say it any better, just remember to change it up a bit and start and end with a few obvious thoughts of your own. Otherwise, the agencies will just count the form letters as part of one big sign on letter. What you think is important - don't ever think it doesn't count if its not tidy and eloquent!! What matters is that someone took time to make their personal thoughts known. You'll see us do industry sign-ons to make a point about the depth of concern about something, or to show to group/fleet/industry unity. But here at ATA, if the issue is really important to the fleet, like this one, we also send a separate letter on our own letterhead. Generally those letters also allow us to be more expansive.

I hope everyone will weigh in on GE salmon and foods. This matter of our food chain goes far beyond one fish or the health of our industry. It's what we're leaving for the next generations to EAT. Shouldn't there be a more thorough and transparent review process to ensure that the food supply will be safe over the long-haul?

Bon Appétit!

Dale
ATA